Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 9 months ago

Is it appropriate to strike a child (open handed) for using foul language, or teach them proper respect?

I overheard my 11 year old calling another child at the bus stop a 'c😙cksucker'...

I have no idea where he picked up this type of language but it certainly wont be tolerated in my house.  Besides we also have a 3 and a 5 year old to think about.

Disciplining children is no easy task. But there is practical information that can help you do so. The link below leads to an article called, “Whatever Happened to Discipline?” It gives real experiences of parents, factual info, and practical advice. 

• L

NO.....it is considered Child Abuse.  11-year olds copy what others say; friends, at school........etc.  When my son, was raising his three girls - if one of them used any  foul language..........hot pepper sauce was put on their tongue.

Violence begets violence. Instead of beating him over the first infraction, try telling him that name-calling is unacceptable and if it happens again there will be consequences (other than decking him).

I think you may have misheard him. I have heard crocsucker is a common phrase among kids these days who wear Crocs.

Where exactly are you talking about striking the child? Are you talking about swats on the butt? If you're talking about like slapping your kid in the face or something, that isn't acceptable, in my humble opinion, although I'm not a parent. 

Absolutely not. My mom did that to me and she paid for that. I always told myself that I would get revenge once I became an adult. I'm not going to go into details but she has had a very bruised and swollen face. Think before you act.

Most kids learn this type of language at home, so if this is what you say, you're punishing the child from your own bad example. Really?

This is common with troll parents.

Well hitting the kid certainly isnt going to help them or the other kids. 🙄

i wouldnt do that, i would just take away his priviledges