If Prince Charles converted to Buddhism, could he still become king?

Ultimately, does the law require Charles (or whomever) to be a Protestant or just not a Catholic to ascend the throne? I never fully understood how this was worded and was curious.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

The Monarch of England is the HEAD of the CHURCH of ENGLAND so Charles would not convert.

• No - the monarch must be in communion with the Church of England. This, more than anything, demonstrates the unequal relationship between Scotland and England in the Union: the British crown is an English crown for an English nation. 

• Clo
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The British monarch must be Church of England and promise to uphold the Protestant Succession. It is possible to still be Protestant, Catholic and practice Buddhism, but in order to be monarch, Charles has to be Church of England---Charles may study other religions but he must remain Church of England unless the laws change.

• 1 month ago

No, he couldn't, among the Terms and Conditions of being the monarch of the U.K is, that they must be C of E. Don't you think he is weird enough already, without having him sitting cross legged on the floor, robed and crowned, chanting "Ommmmm"?!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Prince Charles has publically said he wanted to be 'Defender of Faith' when he comes to the throne, not 'the Faith'.   I believe he wants to be involved at some level, with ALL Faiths.   That surely doesn't mean he's likely to become a Buddhist. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No. His coronation oath and the Act of Settlement of 1701 requires him to join in communion with the Church of England. Protestant in this context is non-Roman Catholic: the C of E regards itself as a reformed catholic church.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Somehow I cant see Prince Charles converting to Buddhism.

• Mr. Bluelight
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

This was just a hypothetical question.  I don't see it either, I was just asking to learn something.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The royals must be members of the state church called The Church of England. In the UK, there is no separation between the church and the state. The monarch is even the supreme governor of the church. Clergy from the Church of England serve in the House of Lords.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The 1701 Act of Settlement specifically requies that the monarch "shall join in communion with the Church of England." So not only a Buddhist, but even a person belonging to non-Anglican Protestant sects such as a Methodist or a Quaker, cannot be king or queen.  (Until 2013 even an Anglican who was married to a Catholic was excluded, but that restriction was removed and now the Earl of St. Andrews, whose wife is Catholic, is 34th in line to the throne.)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.