If I don't have kids am I still supposed to go to a child's birthday party?

I really don't have the energy for it but he's my 2nd cousin. It's a 5 he party how long is reasonable to stay, I just feel like an idiot sitting there with no kid. I will take a gift but I'd rather sit in thehluse and relax on my off day. 

• Prissy
    6 days ago

Hi there! Well,i personally would still go,even of i do not have any child myself. 

It is up to you whether going or not going, though, so if you do not feel in the mood for it, then you do not have to go. Do not worry. 

Ad for buying him a gift, though, yes,you should get him one.  Either a gift or a birthday card.  You can give it to già mother for him.

• Edna

Of course you don't have to attend a 5-year-old kid's birthday party if you don't have kids of your own at the party - especially not for a 2nd cousin. Buy a gift (if you think you must), drop it off with the kid's mother, and leave. 

I don't think you'll need to stay very long. Pop in, drop off a gift, tell his parents that he's a good kid, and you can leave. (Do tell them ahead of time that you won't be able to stay a long time.)

• GB

Decline the invitation. You don't need to get a card or present either.

Then send a card with $10 in it and relax at home that day. I don't see the problem

No i wouldn't go!

This is like being a grammar Nazi, but for genealogy. If the child in question is the child of your first cousin, he is your first cousin once removed. If one of your parents and one of the child's parents are first cousins, he is indeed your second cousin.

To answer your question, tell the parents you'd feel awkward, and either mail or drop off a gift.

If your parents, grandparents and other relatives are going to be there (as opposed to the guests being the birthday boy's friends and classmates), treat it as a sort of family reunion and go.

Is it an obligation or mandatory?.....

• Linda

You don't have to. Send a gift and make an excuse why you can't go.

why don’t you just go for an hour and drop off the birthday present and have a bit of cake then make an excuse that you have to rush off?