Why don't we just teach students how to use calculators, and then give them the option to learn the manual way?

the "real world" has calculators

• 1 week ago

Do you want to depend on a calculator for the rest of your life? 

Every child should learn enough basic arithmetic to give them an idea as to whether the answer their calculator gives them is actually even POSSIBLE.

I mean, say you're asked to multiply 43 by 7, and your calculator says '91'. If you've done some basic arithmetic you'll KNOW that can't be right, because there's no way a two-fig number like 43 can be multiplied by 7 without the answer going WELL over 100.

• YKhan

Because phone batteries die, so you can't start up the Calculator app. Seriously, people should know how to do at least basic math in their heads. Maybe double-check with a calculator later. I see store cashiers who can't even do additional and subtraction in their heads, so forget about multiplication and division, let alone trigonometry.

And sometimes the battery dies.

Mmmmm nope.......

• Nancy

Because if you don't really understand the math, then you don't know how to use it to ever even be able to use a calculator.  Moreover, because math teaches logic and is conceptually integral to learning to think logically.

I'm a bully. Only idiots can't do simple math in their head.

• Rosela3 weeks agoReport

oh my. @The Football God, you realize calc doesn't just consist of 'society's 10 numbers", right? might I suggest you tone down your self-assured comments as you have answered 16k people, and only 5% of them agree? come back when the ego fits