Why don't we just teach students how to use calculators, and then give them the option to learn the manual way?

the "real world" has calculators

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 week ago

Do you want to depend on a calculator for the rest of your life? 

• 1 month ago

Every child should learn enough basic arithmetic to give them an idea as to whether the answer their calculator gives them is actually even POSSIBLE.

I mean, say you're asked to multiply 43 by 7, and your calculator says '91'. If you've done some basic arithmetic you'll KNOW that can't be right, because there's no way a two-fig number like 43 can be multiplied by 7 without the answer going WELL over 100.

• YKhan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because phone batteries die, so you can't start up the Calculator app. Seriously, people should know how to do at least basic math in their heads. Maybe double-check with a calculator later. I see store cashiers who can't even do additional and subtraction in their heads, so forget about multiplication and division, let alone trigonometry.

• 1 month ago

And sometimes the battery dies.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Mmmmm nope.......

• Nancy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Because if you don't really understand the math, then you don't know how to use it to ever even be able to use a calculator.  Moreover, because math teaches logic and is conceptually integral to learning to think logically.

• 1 month ago

I'm a bully. Only idiots can't do simple math in their head.

• Rosela3 weeks agoReport

oh my. @The Football God, you realize calc doesn't just consist of 'society's 10 numbers", right? might I suggest you tone down your self-assured comments as you have answered 16k people, and only 5% of them agree? come back when the ego fits

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.