Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

Can I file a claim?

I have liability insurance . Last night this girl keyed my car and flattened my tires. I have proof that she did it because her friend said she’s the one who did it when I accused all of them. If I also get her to admit can i file a claim with my insurance against her for damages ?

The proof is a screenshot from a facebook post. 

No. Your insurance covers you for YOUR liability for damage that you cause to other people.

Your only option is to take her to court.

• Edna

It wouldn't do any good to file a claim with your insurance company because all you have is Liability coverage and the repair of the damage to your car isn't covered.  Liability coverage protects only the other party in case of a motor accident; it doesn't protect you. 

If you had Comprehensive coverage (in addition to Liability), Comprehensive would cover the damage that this girl did to your car. Comprehensive covers damage and loss to your car, which aren't caused by a motor accident, and which you don't cause and are out of your control. (Fire, hail, vandalism, a broken window, a tree limb falling on your car, etc.). It would be a good idea to consider adding that coverage to your policy.  

You can file a civil suit against the girl for the amount of your damage. Call the police and let them make a formal report, then file a suit against her in Small Claims Court. Of course, you have to PROVE in Court that this particular girl caused the damage. Her "friend" would have to testify as a witness on your behalf.

No

Because you have only liability insurance, you cannot use your own insurance for anything that happens to your own car. You can use your liability insurance only for something that you did to someone else.

You can try to sue her yourself, on your own or with a lawyer, but not with your insurance.

If you had comprehensive insurance, then you could file a claim with your insurance and they would either pay you or go after her (or both).

Your insurance company won't do a thing. You need to sue her in small claims court. Call an attorney after you get an estimate to repair the damage at couple of body shops.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

No, your liability insurance doesn't cover damages to your own car..........

that's why liability insurance is so cheaply affordable.

No. You have to have comprehensive coverage when there is vandalism.

• Ron

Liability doesn't cover damage to your car in any instance

• Scott

No. Liability insurance pays nothing for damage to your own car. You have a criminal case and should contact the police.

If you, you can always sue her in small claims court.

You should file a claim anyway, and ask your insurance company how to go after the girl for whatever you need to pay. The friend's statement works only in a courtroom situation, if you want to go that far.