promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

what must be considered when reporting the weight of an object as opposed to its mass?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • JOHN
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You should also report the location at which the weight was taken. If you are on the moon and discovered a mine with vast quantities of green cheese you won’t want to sell it to Earth bound merchants at give away moon prices. In fact I should insist on prices being negotiated in mass values rather than weight. There is a slight problem, though. Can one measure mass without gravity? Yes, it can be done within the framework of Newton’s laws of motion, but I leave this to you to figure out. Coming back to Earth, g varies  slightly with latitude and longitude, so that you get slightly different amounts if you buy a pound of onions in New York and Beijing. If there ever comes a time when the US wants to buy 1000 tonnes of gold from the Chinese, I think the Chinese, being a very savvy people, would throw gravity overboard and use momentum conservation to measure out their gold. That would really stump Trump and put an end to his trade wars.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

The strength of the gravitational field at the location it's being weighed.

• Weight is the force of gravity on a mass

Gravitational Force (Newtons) = mass (kilograms) x gravity (m/s^2)

• 7 months ago

The influence of gravity. Mass always exists. Weight doesn't exist without gravity.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.