Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 month ago

Am I jerk for asking my roommate's to remove their clothes so I don't have to move them?

My roommates and I each have our own laundry days. I noticed whenever I'm about to dry my clothes, there are almost always clothes left in the dryer I usually just move them to the washer so I can put my clothes in the dryer. The first time this happened, I placed my roommate's clothes on the couch.

She texted me and said she'd prefer that I tell her to get her clothes rather than me moving them myself.

On a Wednesday (my laundry day) night around 7:40ish I texted her and asked "Hey, is that your laundry in the dryer?"

She said, "Yes I'll move them when I get back from work, but I don't get home from work until 10 pm ."

I said, "Well, I already moved them to the washer so I could dry my things ."

She says, "I'd rather them not be moved to the washer and I was hoping you could wait until I come home as I don't want them on the couch either, but you can put them on the couch tonight ."

Fast forward to Sunday

I'm about to wash my clothes and I notice someone's clothes are in the dryer again.

*I post in the roommate group me*

"Hey, let's remember to remove our laundry once we are done, before other peoples' laundry days. That way we won't have to worry about moving/touching each other's things"

My roommate (the same one) asked, "Are clothes in there right now?"

I said "yes the dryer"

Her: "Oh okay, all you had to do was say that lol. You can just put them on the couch. Thanks. Also, those dishes have been there a while? Could you do those as we don't want to attract rodents?"

Am I a jerk for asking my roommates to remove their clothes from the laundry so I can use the dryer?

I once asked my roommate to remove her clothes and she slapped me... Those were the days.

I find it so disturbing that those of us that follow house mate rules feel the need to tip toe around those individuals who are inconsiderate of the rules.

You have asked...time and time again for your housemate to take care of her laundry, to no avail. Therefore SHE deserves no more of YOUR consideration. Stop transferring her laundry from one machine to the next and/or the couch. Instead,wet or dry, place it on top of the dryer or in her laundry basket. Placing her clothes on the couch means the couch is off limits to sit on for hours on end and it also makes for an untidy living room.

You are not responsible to be the laundry police, Stop that!

As far as dirty dishes....place them in a plastic bag and set aside on the floor. If your pots and pans or other kitchenware is left dirty by others, then keep your stuff in your room where  it remains clean when you need it,

Don't allow inconsiderate roomies to derail your psyche, especially when they exhibit passive aggressive tendancies. You have more important goals to focus on as this will eventually pass.

You are not their maid or mom that spoiled them. Why would feel like a jerk for asking them to be considerate?

• In

Dump her clothes in a laundry basket and go about your business while you contemplate the benefits of living alone.

You each need a basket, a folded type of laundry basket in laundry area if you don't have space. Then you can toss them in there.

When sharing a space I wouldnt want to clean up the other persons slack dishes, laundry, dirty counters....laundry...

I'd have a talk, or say the night before check washer dryer please.

I've had roommates some were slobs.

One was clean never left a dish or clothes around. Room was totally clean, bed made daily. Even kept main bathroom clean.

So remember its important you clean bathroom on occasion.

• drip

Sounds like you all should have a roommate meeting and get some rules down for everyone.

Of clothes are left in the dryer they will be taken out and put in a laundry basket. No laundry basket, clothes will be thrown on the person’s bed.

Clothes should not be left out in shared areas 

No notice or text will be given.  Sorry but the person knows their clothes have been left in the dryer, and that another roommate will be using the washer/dryer. So why should they get a notice. A part of adulthood, put away your own damn clothes 

I have told my kids if you don’t have time to put your clothes in the washer and dryer and put them away immediately don’t start the load of laundry 

• audrey

Keep putting them on the couch. Or her bed. Or the floor til she either gets the message or moves out. Don't do her dishes, either

No you're not a jerk. That's her problem that she doesn't know how to be considerate of your laundry day. After having to ask her MULTIPLE TIMES to move her clothes, she should get the memo to do that herself, but it seems like she hasn't. Keep doing what you're doing, and if you can switch roommates or something because your roommate sounds annoying.

What you should do is send her used socks to me so they will never be a problem for you again.

Wow what are you guys doing