Inheriting family rental properties?

If my dad owns rental properties with his brother and I inherit his share how do I get out of it? I wouldn't want the properties.

27 Answers

  • 4 weeks ago

    you then SELL your share to your unlce.

    DO NOT ask to be taken out of the will as others have answered, that's just stupid.

  • 1 month ago

    Tell him not to put you in the will.

  • Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    His brother buys you out or you sell the properties. You could also disclaim them and not accept ownership.

  • 1 month ago

    You can tell your dad you aren't interested in the property so he can adjust his will.

    You can disclaim the property upon his death.

    You can sell your share to your uncle.  

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • John
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

    Just leave them if you don't want them. After a few years the state will come buy them. Saves you money. If you just inherited the price is too high for anyone to want them so you be **** out trying to possess them with all the taxes you'll owe.

  • 1 month ago

    Sell your share to a family member.

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    sell or give your share to his brother

  • zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    You see if your uncle wants to buy you out. If he does no problem if not sell it to a broker.

  • 1 month ago

    You do not have to accept them.  Talk to your uncle and ask if he would like to own them outright.  If he says yes, then sign them over to him.

  • 1 month ago

    People are advising you to disclaim your inheritance. You can do that, but why?  Why should your uncle get all of it?

    I'm assuming your father does not have a spouse or other living children, or you would not necessarily be receiving all of his share.

    If you don't want the properties, then there is no point in buying out your uncle's share. You ask him to buy out yours. You will need the help of the executor of your father's estate to properly value your share. Your uncle may have to refinance properties to buy out your share, or he may have to sell them. If he refuses to cooperate, there are legal steps that can be taken to force him to pay you your share.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.