David asked in SportsRunning · 1 month ago

Can the 10 percent per week rule also count for speed ?

I run around 4 miles a day around 5 days a week currently around 8 mph every week or 2 I upgrade .5 miles faster. Is it wise the use this strategy I'm trying to run about 10 miles per hour for 5 miles eventually. if I run at around 8 miles per hour (4 miles bursts non stop) around 5-7 times would I be able to get to 8.5,9,.5 than 10 ? is this the quickest way to gain speed ?

• Adam D

The 10% rule is just a guideline, and like anything, all things don't work for all people equally.

If you want to improve, you should find a structured training plan.  This will include some harder days, some easier days, runs of various lengths and effort levels to improve different areas of fitness.

• .

There are a ton of articles online on how to increase speed, but none of the ones I quickly perused mentioned the "10% rule". On top of that, several of the articles I ran across that focused on increasing distance, did not support the 10% rule either.

Do some research on best ways to improve running speed, and then incorporate the training methods that make the most sense for you. Be safe about it and don't push your body harder than it's ready to go.