Can you drive off the car dealership with liability insurance?

I'm about to buy a 2007 Nissan Maxima and I just put liability insurance on it because It was $250 and for the full coverage was it around $500 and I'm also a new driver

• Edna

If you're financing the car through a lender (the dealership or a bank, etc.), the lender will require that you carry full coverage insurance (Liability, Collision, and Comprehensive) on the car for the life of the loan. 

Unless the car dealership is the lender, after you pay the dealer for the car, he doesn't care what kind of insurance you have, or if you have any at all.

If you carry only Liability and you're involved in an accident, Liability won't pay to repair YOUR car. Liability only pays to repair the damage that your car causes to another car. 

You need whatever coverage that your area/state requires. If you are financing, your bank/credit union may have requirements for you as well.

Yes. But not legally if you financed it. If you paid cash, sure.

I only have liability. Our risk is if you wreck your car, they do not fix or replace it.

If I totalled my car, I would not like it but I could afford to buy another car. I accept the risk in exchange for saving on insurance.

• May

"Can" you?  Yes...If the car is not financed and If you are able.

Should you?  H3ll no !

You need a lesson in Insurance and logic.

If you pay cash for the vehicle at a dealer and they are going to transfer the plates, all you will need is the basic liability insurance coverage your state requires. If your state requires proof of liability coverage, the dealer will need that info to transfer the title and registration. The only way to avoid this is to haul the vehicle off the lot with a tow truck.

It's the same deal on a private sale where I live, you need proof of liability insurance to register the vehicle at the DMV, the dealer will need that info to transfer the reg & title.

The dealer won't give you the old title info like you would get in a private sign the title sale scenario where you register it as "a" private sale transaction with the vehicle title in hand, the dealer holds the title and protects the sellers personal vehicle title anonymity information, then the dealer assumes all liability pertaining to the future vehicle sale transaction.

If you've paid the price in full, yes.  If you've financed it, the financing company will insist on it having collision.

• Edna

The financing company will insist on the car having liability, collision, and comprehensive coverage.

If you financed it, then no, you need full coverage.

If you paid the full price with no lease or loan, then yes.

NO dumbass, not unless you have paid for the car in full. If you financed it then you are required to carry full coverage insurance. Obviously you haven't bothered to read the contract. Fail. 

• Scott

If you financed the car you don't have a choice. The lender requires full coverage for the duration of the loan. The lender can place their own insurance and add it to your monthly payment. It will be more than $500 a month. Or, they can repossess your car because you are in default of the contract you signed. If you paid in full for the car then liability is all you're required to have.

• .

Unless you pay the full cash price, you have to have full coverage.