How do I not get stuck working minimum wage my whole life?

I'm 23 and I'm currently making 8 dollars an hour. I work on cruise ship 12 hours a day every day. It's ridiculously hard work but all my expenses are paid and I can save a lot of money while I'm here. Anyway I see people here who are in their 50s and 60s doing what I'm doing which is taking out trash and washing dishes. I don't want to do this my entire life. How do I get out of it.

Friend stay on that job if your expenses are paid and you can save the money that you're making you're making way more money than if you were making $15 an hour and had to spend money on rent and electricity. Tough it out on that job you'll eventually get more and in the meantime you're away is paid and you can save the money that you're making.

Look for a new job and if you're not sure what sort of job, pray to God and He will provide a job for you. When I was unemployed, people from my church prayed with me and I now have a job I'm happy with.

Most of the other posters are right on!  

BUT, if you decide to go to college or a career school, be absolutely sure that you study something that will prepare you for a job:  pay NO attention to the elitists who tell you to study liberal arts or other useless subjects.  

There are ZERO jobs for poets or philosophers; but a lot of jobs for physicists, plumbers, and plant scientists.

Go to college and get a higher education, work hard, go to a trade school and learn a special skill.

Online Business Ideas You Can Start With No Money

1. Freelance writer. It's hardly a surprise that freelance writer makes the list of online businesses you can start. ...

2. Social media consultant. Do you have a knack for social media? ...

3. Web designer.

4. Graphic designer.

5. SEO consultant.

6. Business coach.

7. App developer.

8. Online retailer.

Affiliate marketing is a great place to start. Watch this video! bit.ly/business-system2 

Have a marketable skill. Make an employer WANT to pay you more than minimum wage.

You said you're saving a lot of money.

Save up enough and then invest that money on a university education or learning a skilled trade.

If you have family who will allow you to live with them while you go to school full-time, that's even better. 

• Eva

Learn a skill. Go back to school.

You'll have to go back to school and get some skills that employers want.  You may want to look into working your way up the cruise ship hierarchy, better money and accommodations.

< and I can save a lot of money while I'm here >

Even with upgraded skills you might see a huge drop in how much money you can save working back in a more conventional job.

• DON W

The best way to move ahead is typically through education.  You have Internet access, right?  If so, look for online classes through a state university (maybe U of Hawaii?).  If you want to stay on the ship but in a better role, maybe courses in hospitality management or in mechanics.  If you love the sea, consider joining the Navy (23 is not too old) or the Coast Guard.  If you love technology, take courses in that.

Here's a link to the University of Hawaii online courses of study:

https://www.uhonline.hawaii.edu/

You are not in a position to get any education, training or an apprenticeship.  Try working your way up in the jobs on your vessel.