L asked in SportsMartial Arts · 4 weeks ago

Self defense and BJJ...?

Okay guys so Im gonna try to explain this as best as possible, btw i have not found anything online related to what I want to ask you. My question is, how/what needs to be learned in jiu jitsu for SELF DEFENSE. Going to a classic bjj gym, the instructors (and everyone there) teaches COMPETITION jiu jitsu.... guys lets be honest, Im not gonna fvcking triangle choke a guy on the street if im being attacked, because there are no rules in the streets. If i try to triangle choke somebody, i bet my house that they will bite my balls off (something ur not afraid of in bjj comp with all the rules ofcourse). Every gym in my country (I live in southern europe) teaches competition jiu jitsu, whereas, i want to learn bjj for self defense (im already doing boxing and muay thai). My question for you is, what moves/submissions do i really need for self defense. I thought I'd need 2 or 3 basic chokes and kimura maybe? Along with a takedown and guard hold of course. My point is, i wanna be as good as possible in 2 or 3 simple submissions and rely on those for self defense, rather than train bjj with all the "useless" moves that wont work in real life. I dont mean to offend anyone, I love bjj so much and respect everyone doing the sport. I wish i had the time and guts to be a true bjj martial artist black belt, but instead, i just want to settle for self defense. Appreciate the help. Oss !

• Noah

Well since BJJ doesn't match your description of self defense find something else!

And for the second time this week I will answer your question...

If you dont like the answer then dont ask the question.bjj is a sport with rules and not for self defense.Very few fights end up on the ground, the graices lied to promote bjj. They took there stats from a police report and left out the part where police in altercations go to the ground and ignored the stat about street fights.A choke is designed to kill a person it can take as little as 10 seconds for a person to die from a choke when done correctly.You need more then one or two moves for self defense, the way you train in the dojo or gym is the way you fight in the street.Find a better style that focus on self defense like karate or japanese jujutsu and not a sports style  

• Bon

First of all, you are have been brainwashed with the BJJ premise that all fights must end up in some form of grappling. In a real life situation , you want to avoid getting into a ground fight. Granted there may be circumstances that will force you into one and it will be to your interest and health to know how to fight in that situation, but a ground fight should never be your first choice.

Self-defense in the real world is not a sport and is not always a one to one fight. Criminals do not fight fair and self-defense is not fair. It is low down and dirty. You and your attacker do not start out at a bell and come out of your corners. Chances are you will be ambushed and maybe even by more than one attacker. Are you really going to be doing a takedown and chokehold will the guy has a buddy who may clobber you in the back of your head or stick a knife in your back?

Grappling and ground fighting has it's place, but it is not a one size fits all martial art. And while you may not understand what I am about to say, I hope you will consider it before dismissing it: The first and most important thing in self-defense is AWARENESS. You cannot save yourself if you are not aware that a dangerous situation is brewing and you are heading into one. In life there are no-win situations which mean no matter how good a martial artist you are, you cannot win. The ONLY way to survive them is to recognize them and avoid them.

The second, thing you need to understand is that the number one goal for you should you get into a violent confrontation is escaping. It is not about slugging it out and doing a victory dance afterwards to the applauds of the crowd. It is about survival and escape. If you are attacked, it is only because your attacker thinks he or they have the advantage. At the moment of attack, you are in the "kill zone" and you have to survive and escape. Rolling around on the ground is not escaping.

Last, you need to ask yourself this: am I willing to go through with the arm lock, choke, or whatever techniques you employ? For example, if you have an attacker's arm in a lock, are you willing to take it further and break the arm if your attacker does not submit? If you think everyone will submit just because you have them in a lock/choke or whatever, do you think that applies to someone high on drugs or mentally deranged? Whatever techniques you use, you may have to go through it it and can you do it? Do you believe you can break a person neck and can you live with it afterwards? This is something I see many people who practice martial art do not ask themselves just as I have met many people who owns guns and obviously do not have it them to pull the trigger. Whatever you use in self-defense, you HAVE to be willing to use it without hesitation.

Grappling is very useful for one on one conflicts, especially if you want to immobilize an

opponent rather than cripple him.. The throws are also very useful, even on the street, where gangs tend to follow the alpha male. Disable the alpha male, and a lot of men will back down. Not always, but knowing throws is better than not knowing them. In addition, studying any martial art will give you balance and grace, critical elements in a fight,

Krav Maga is the easiest martial art to learn. It's also easy to learn how to use a knife or baton; a couple of weeks training with a knife or baton is extremely useful. As Bruce Lee said, everything is a weapon.