Can I clock in when traveling from a distant city for work, back home.?

Im a full time employee and I travel for work. Usually when I travel, I am gone Mon to Fri in a hotel. I know I can clock in to travel during normal business hours and right now I am 10 hours, 600 plus miles, away from home. From what Ive read, the CFR only covers work from an office, to a distant site and back, before traveling home or simply traveling to a distant city. 

Since I am so far from home, is it considered company time to drive straight back home at the end of the week, or is that on my time?

I am in the US, my company is out of Virginia and I am working in NC.

That is on YOUR time.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

It really depends on the company and your job.  If I live in town A but take a job in town B which is 150 miles from here, the 150 mile trip is considered commuting and is considered my own time.  Some employees live in town B, some live in town A but still others live in town C, but nobody is paid for the time they travel to work.  Now If I'm at my job in town B but my employer needs me to travel to town C for business, then I'm on the clock for the trip to and from town C and back to my job in town B.  If you are going directly from your home for a business trip, then you should ask your employer when you are permitted to be on the clock.

What you are asking about is 10 hours travel time to your job and 10 hours back, which equals 20 hours or half a work week.  

Only your employer knows the answer to this question.  Strangers on the internet DO NOT.

• cody8 months agoReport

next time I will add that information, and in hindsight, would have probably saved us both time.

Yes, you have my permission.

Source(s): seriously, only your employer can answer this question
    • cody8 months agoReport

I didnt see the source. I understand some people dont know how to simply ask their employers, which usually would be the first answer, but my employers lie and try and get as much work out of us as possible, without having to pay for it. So I took to the internet to help me.