Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 month ago

Is buying a used laptop safe?

I'm planning to buy a used ROG laptop for around 32k PHP (632.63$) is it worth risking?

That one looks like a business is selling it, so probably. let them allow you to test it out before purchase. but i don't know if it is worth that price, as you did not give the specs

Go ahead it looks good 

Laptops depreciate, who knows what kind of inappropriate material are saved on the computer drive, that computer are used and abused by so many people! 

I bought some used HP Elitebook  convertibles that are 7 or 8 years old, but upgraded to Win 10.  I paid about $100 for each, on average.  I shopped a long time on Ebay for ones that are in top shape.  Scratches or dents are not important, but operations were perfect.  But I did get one which later developed a bad keyboard interface.  Not even replacing the keyboard helped the keys that don't work.  So I use a USB keyboard with it.  Never can tell about what you will get or how long it will work properly when you buy without warranty.

Source(s): Using computers since 1962. Building pc boxes for several decades.

It's a risk......... 

If you know a lot about computers then it should be safe, but you never know. If there is something wrong with it then maybe you can fix it. I would also recommend wiping out the hard drive, or solid sate drive, and installing a new operating system just in case the computer is infected with something, or if you prefer you can replace the hard drive, or solid state drive with a new one.

Often used computers are better available.

It seems like a lot to spend on a used laptop. Especially in the Philippines. You could go to Walmart in manilla and probably buy a new one for that much.

Buying a used product can be perfectly fine if the seller is reputable. It can be a risk to buy from some random seller.

Yes, as long it has pictures of it and the parts are not broken.