Being Spit in the Face by a Minor?

I am a full time college student and currently working at a preschool part time. There is a 4yo in the school who clearly has a mental disability that has not been addressed as his mother seems to not give a **** about his behavior or overall well being. She makes up excuse for EVERYTHING, he comes to school dirty and wearing the same clothes he did the day before, he comes to school with his diaper full and **** caked to his ***, she doesn't bath him because "he doesn't like water," the list goes on and on. He hits the other children and teachers, throws things at us and around the room, he screams at everyone, etc. At the beginning of this week he slammed another child's mouth into the sink faucet which cause her to get a busted lip.  Yesterday afternoon, another child pulled on him and was telling him stop because he took a toy from another child. This ultimately triggered him and he spit directly in the other child's face. I approached them for redirection and separation and while the other child did what they were to do, I attempted to discuss using our words when we are upset and ultimately got my face spit on too!

I know that if a child spits on another child it is assault but is it assault when a child spits on an adult? 

I myself, along with all the other teachers have had MANY issues with this child and we are all fed up with his behavior and I am at my wits end.

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this? I honestly just want to quit at this point.

• 4 days ago

Call child psychologist services on the mother. She's obviously neglecting him so she needs to have her son taken away from her.

I doubt your entire story.  The preschool wouldn't take someone like this.  Troll score: 1

• helene

Assault or not, the police aren't going to arrest a four-year-old.

If you think the child is being neglected, call cps.

USA answer, by law you are a mandated reporter since you work with children....make a call to CPS.

The word is spat.

• jasme3 weeks agoReport

The important factor here is that you get the message.... you did say anything about the question asked.

• audrey

The school should be calling CPS NOW. If they don't, quit and find a decent place to work.

• Cogito

The school should involve the social services, Child Protection or whatever you have in the USA.  The child is being badly neglected and someone needs to deal with this now or he's going to be totally uncontrollable by the time he's 6.