Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 1 month ago

When I drive at night and someone has bright headlights on I can’t see. What is happening and what is a solution?

I’m nearsighted but it’s not bad enough where I feel like I need to wear my glasses at all. The only times I wear my glasses are when it’s dark out and I’m driving. 

I go from not needing them in the daylight to essential at night. 

Recently I had to pick my sister up outside city limits so there was no street lights or just additional lighting at all. It was pitch black and I had to use my high beams a couple of times. 

I dreaded the moment whenever a car with obvious brighter lights or with their high beams on passed me. Their light just washed the road out and I couldn’t see anything. 

I do drive a Subaru Outback, a car that’s low to the ground. Would getting a taller vehicle be of help or is there a specific condition I can get my eyes checked for?

Get a pair of amber driving glasses that are made to fit over a pair of glasses. The amber tint cuts down the glare. 

Many details are missing here. You could be 18 and have not learned to keep your eyes away from oncoming headlights. You could be 70 and experiencing the symptoms of a cataract or macular degeneration.

• k w

simple....just hold up your left hand in front of you, to block the light from your eyes.......

The way to minimise the problem is to focus hard on your pathway rather than look at the lights. 

You could also just block their lights with your hand till they pass, thats what i do

There are special glasses you can wear for that

• GR1 month agoReport

These seem like they could be really helpful, thank you