Is a Blu Ray DVD player as good as a CD player for playing CD’s through an Audio/ Video receiver?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Lance
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Depends on which Blu ray player and which CD player your talking about...Oppo Denon Pionner Elite might give you a good Blu ray player that does a good job for CD playback also but there would be no cost savings...A dedicated CD player for the same price as a Blu ray player will usually give you better results with CD play back than the blu ray player will...Cheap blu ray players tend to be very light and vibrate a lot causing jitter in the digital signal. CD tends to be more susceptible to digital aberrations than DVD or Blu ray disks...They spin at a slower speed and also there error correction is not as sophisticated..Cheap CD players tend to  weigh more than an equivalent cheap Blu ray player does and they also have better error correction..Some times you can get good results with a new Blu ray player that has the latest DAC's...But take for instance the new Denon DCD 600NE that thing weighs 8.8 lbs has dedicated jitter control and also good DAC's. I use to use an old DVD player for playback I used isolation platforms underneath a weight on top to add stability but still it caused fatigue and irritation in my long term listening sessions...Jitter is not something you can hear, but it does distract from the enjoyment of music...You will end up enjoying the music less and listening for shorter periods of time.

• 1 month ago

Yes Blueray players (readers) handle  both DVD and CD formats as well as Blueray formats. Most Blueray players are Multimedia Optical Drives. There is no reason to worry about playback quality.

• 1 month ago

Yes, and in some cases it might be better.

The only way to know for sure which is superior is by listening.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.