My dog just got attacked, who should I sue for the dog medical expenses?

So my dog got attacked by another dog. The other dog was on the leash and when she saw my dog she slipped out from the collar, which was held by a dog handler(walker)/friend of the dog owner and attacked(almost killing my tiny dog). The walker says that dog is aggressive towards other dogs and is not her dog therefore he is not responsible for it. The owner says that she was not the one who was walking the dog. My question is which one is responsible for the damages caused by their dog ?

While the walker was also at fault for failing to restrain and control the dog, it's ultimately the owner's responsibility.

She failed to train the dog to be less pet-aggressive.

Sorry to hear about this.  I hope your dog will be ok.

The dog owner is responsible.

- but you have to go to court with clean hands.  Was your dog on a leash?  If not, was it on your property?  Otherwise, you might get 50% of the vet bills.

The dog owner can sue their friend to recoup the money, if they want.

• Ann

The dog's owner is ultimately responsible for the dog's behavior.  It should have been in a harness as well as having a collar, and if it's known to be aggressive, it should have been muzzled as well.

Ultimately it would be the dog owner. If the dog owner wants to later go after the dog walker that would be between them.

• Cee

Lawyer time, kid.

The dog walker should be sued. It's their negligence that allowed the problem to occur in the first place.

Part of the LEGAL answer is "Where?"  It varies from State to State.

The owner of the dog that is NOT on lead is responsible for the injuries.  It's just that simple in my State.  

The owner and walker are equally responsible in my State.  A dog owner who allows someone else to care for the dog is expected to make certain that the person is qualified and capable.  That is the actual language from a complaint.

The dog walker is responsible for the care and safety of the dog.  Obviously allowing a dog to slip a collar is not responsible behavior.

After that the argument will be whether the dog owner knew or should have known that the dog could slip the collar,  Again, actual language.  If the dog owner KNEW and did nothing, the dog walker would have less liability.

In MY State recently in a similar instance the dog on lead was attacked by the dog off lead, the owner of the dog on lead broke her arm, she sued for her medical expenses, pain and suffering, the dog's medical expenses and negligence.  She won!

Before I'd argue with the owner of the dog I would send her a letter return signature required advising her to turn the claim over to her homeowners insurance.  She refuses?  Then ask your homeowners insurance if it can locate the name of her company.

This is probably a Small Court Claims matter depending on the amount of the damage.

Source(s): education/experience
  • Joe

Sue the dog walker. If the walker loses in court and pays you for being irresponsible, he can sue the owner to reclaim the money. Don't you watch Judge Judy ??

You should definitely try to get them to pay as there is so much wrong there, the person walking the dog is the one responsible for the dog then and there so after knowing that the dog is aggressive towards other dogs and not having a mussel or anything else to stop it from biting that already is really bad and if it was able to slip it’s leash that’s is just careless dog owning, whoever is with the dog at that time it’s their responsibility, I am really sorry you had to go through all that but you should tell the police as that dog is a dangerous animal and should be euthanised as to stop this happening again, this is really serious. Hope that helps.

Dog walker since she was the one that was holding the leash. It’s her responsibility if the dog attacks another dog.