Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

My parents tortured me as a child. I haven’t spoken to the animals in years. Now their elderly and dying, do I bother to acknowledge them?

Should I bother to acknowledge them before they go to hell? My father is dying of cancer and probably won’t make it till the end of the year I’m told. My mother has Alzheimer’s so no telling how long that which is going to be here for. I last spoke to them in the late 1980s. My siblings have only spoken to once since 1988. They were not quite as evil but still evil.

Eternal hell awaits them both and probably my siblings to.  

• Leto
    Favorite Answer

There's no need to open old wounds that from the sound of it haven't completely healed.  Unless you would find it somewhat cathartic to tell them off before they pass, let it go.  They don't deserve your time and energy dealing with them again.

You have to do what is best for your mental health. Counseling may help in this sad situation. I am so sorry that this happened to you. I hope that the link below helps you in some way. 

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/w20010415/...

Source(s): jw.org

They may be evil as you describe them, but what if your children say that about you, and maybe it is true, only would you want to see them before they die? Perhaps in their hearts, they regret those things. Well, if you did wrong, wouldn't you want to say goodbye, at least?

This can go so many ways. So many variables, but at the end of the day, family matters. Opinions are great, but we live, and we learn, we forgive, and are forgiven. 

When you throw a rock in a deep pond, it ripples, but soon it calms. That rock falls to the bottom; it is forgotten.

The family, however, remains within pictures and our hearts.

Forgiveness is an option.

Source(s): personal

What kind of torture? No you don't have to forgive. 

Visit them and tell them you cannot wait until they die, and when they ask why you can say that you are going to have trouble holding in a crap forever - because you are going to **** on their graves when they die.

Nope, you don't have to have anything to do with them or acknowledge them if that is your choice.

No, you don't need to make contact. If God gives you the will and power to forgive then do so, but even then, you are not obligated to make contact.

• Eva

Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself. Some people find they need to make peace with the past, some don't.

• Teal

Only if you personally feel like it will do you some good. There are people who want closure and find sitting at a death bed or going to a funeral cathartic. There are others who simply say good riddance and never look back. There is no right way to cope with the death of an abuser. I would suggest seeing a counselor. They will help you understand your feelings and make the best choice for you.

Go seek Jesus Christ for help