Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

Is it wrong to kill creatures?

I live in the country and squirrels are everywhere they are also causing a little trouble so I decided to get a .22 and control their population my wife (who isn’t from country) says it’s cruel and evil, I just think it’s no different than killing a rat in your house causing trouble.

It depends.  For fun it is very wrong.  I believe in treating animals the way you want to be treated.  That said, sometimes humans may need to kill for their own life's sake.  In modern society, I think it is wrong to kill animals because there is meat in the grocery store, materials that can keep you warm like fur etc..

yes and no

but yes.

however not if you need to eat.

we humans have lived on this veeeeeeeeery huge planet for a looooong time.

guess what we ate in regions of the earth where vegetation was scarce...

we ate meat from the first time humans.

cmon now

to claim its wrong to eat meat is absurd.

however to use all of the above ive said to encourage slaughtering of innocent animals en masse,   and keeping them in barbaric conditions aint acceptable either.

if my steak on my plate came from a cow that died horribly,  it would put me off no matter how delicious and tempting that steak looked to me.

i tend to not think of it that much and just eat my meat though so i guess im a hypocrite.

not wrong if you use them for food/ clothing

• The thing is, we don't need clothing from animals anymore.  Unless you live in an extreme environment, where artificial materials can't keep you warm.

To kill an organism is a mistake and a bad thing.

My!Don,t kill them,thank you.

• P.L.

I would not deliberately kill a creature that did me no harm but if they are a serious problem to me I do have to get rid of them one way or another.  I kill wasps because I've had two very serious allergic reactions to wasp stings and I'm petrified of them  I also kill flies as they are disease carriers.  If a mouse of other small creature enters my home i try to get them to exit of their own free will and, usually, they do just that.

Agree with you, not your wife. Critters are just that...critters. And they have to be controlled; otherwise they could spread disease and/or cause damage to the premises.

But they should be controlled humanely. Which is to say quickly and without pain. And that's where I agree with your wife.

Shooting a critter with a .22 cannot guarantee the critter will die quickly and without pain. In fact, unless you're an expert marksman, the likelihood you'll just wound the critter and it will suffer a long time is pretty high.

So, for humane control (killing), use squirrel traps that kill. Here's a short list:

Top 5 Best Squirrel Traps

Rugged Ranch Squirrel Trap (our # 1 pick that works great)

Tube Trap For Squirrels (a wicked strong snap trap)

Havahart 2-Door Trap (a wire cage live capture trap)

Snap Traps (the old reliable snap traps used everywhere)

Electronic Human Rodent Zappers (“Old Sparky” for squirrels)

NOTE: Some of these are live trappers, some kill. Pick the lethal ones to thin out the squirrel population and reduce the damage and disease threat.

squirrels are destructive little rodents and I see no issues with population control. Some folks even eat them

• oikoσ

You're not going to win this one on logic. Maybe, when the squirrel chews a hole in your house and moves into the attic . . . .

• no

It is legal to kill grey squirrels and most people do it by trapping and shooting. But it must be done in a humane manner or you will be fined under animal welfare laws. The Animal Welfare Act 2006 rules that it is illegal to cause “unnecessary suffering” to an animal under your care.

• Shorty1 month agoReport

Doesn't apply to squirrels. Wild animals can't be pets. Squirrels are pests. And shooting them is humane.  However, a .410shotgun is more effective.  Using a .22 is just target practice..