Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Am I being over protective of my son?

My son and I are very close. He is in high school and in one of his classes he is the only guy. He thinks that is great as he is friends with all the girls. The girls in his class tease him all the time about being the only guy in class and he LOVES it. He says it makes the class so much fun. He came home from class today and said “Mom, the girls in the class asked me if I was hung. Can I show them? I told him “NO NO NO”. “That would get him in BIG TROUBLE”. He might get suspended from school or reported to the police. Then he said “Can I tell them I would gag Linda Lovelace”? Again the answer is NO. YOU CAN NOT TALK ABOUT SEX WITH THESE GIRLS IN CLASS EVER. He said “But mom, they ask me”.

I am going to try to get him out of that class before he does something stupid and gets in trouble. He will not be happy but I think I had better act now before something happens.

He thinks I am being overly protective. Am I?

i dont think so

If your child has a propensity for being dumb or doing dumb things, then I can see how it would be a good idea too get him out of a situation in which there is a very real chance he commits a sex crime. We don't know if those girls are trying to set him up or if their intentions are typical dumb teenager stuff, but this is definitely a way in which a Me Too moment happens.

On the other hand, I'd try just talking to him. He may like the attention and that Can Be fine... I'd just emphasize that something can easy go wrong and he'll take the fall; that it may not be as clear to him as it is to you, since your perspective doesn't have you caught right in the middle of it... That way he can stay in the class and w/ these people that are presumably is friends - actual friends.

So long as you don't jump to a conclusion, I don't thin you're being overly protective. Maybe try contacting one of the parents of one of those girls so they can kind of back you up on this - to tell one girl to tell the rest not to tell boys to expose themselves.

Good luck; I hope this situation has a good ending.

As a parent we see the danger ahead of time and try to conceal our children from danger if possible so no you are not over reacting you're showing mother love and concern pray he listens until he is either removed from that class or sees the danger himself and avoid the bad consequences.

My God,  it is just teasing and IMMATURE but he knows exposing himself could mar him for life legally. 

Peer pressure and going with the flow leads to interpersonal problems at work and school

I think you should take a better look at this class first and see if this is actually happening because there's a good chance that none of the girls actually said this. 

no of course not 

Yes, let it show it. If he does, he will be a better man.

• Edna

Your son is just pulling your chain. The girls in his class asked him NONE of the questions he says they did. Don't buy into his silly little game.

• Bob

When you say that you and your high school age son are very close and then go on to say that he talks to you about his penis being large enough to make Linda Lovelace gag, and you then go on to admit that you told him not to talk about sex with girls in his class, I would say that the red flags here are that you have a Jocasta complex relationship with your son and the reason you don't want him discussing his penis with girls his own age is because you are jealous of them.

I think you should get your nose out of your son's sex life, which is his business and not yours.

Teach your son about responsible sex. Teach your son to be a decent young man and to treat girls with respect. Do not have conversations with your son about the size of his penis and what he can do with it.

I don't know if overly protective is the right way to put it but your relationship with him in this regard is definitely not healthy.