Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCommunity Service · 8 months ago

Why do people literally give panhandlers change when they ask for change ?

I usually don't give to them because I'm broke, but when do give to them it's always a twenty dollar bill, because I've been in their shoes before and I know there's a great chance not a single person has helped them all day, not everyone is a pro at panhandling a lot of them are going through living hell trying to do it, so you may think you did them a nice gesture by giving them some change, but all you did was hand them something they could purchase absolutely nothing at all with, they ask for as little amount possible to make it sound like they're not being greedy, but they're hoping you'll understand they need a lot more then that 

• kswck2

I've seen panhandlers turn down help from city agencies. I've seen panhandlers turn down a hot sandwich, preferring cash instead. 

You have to be a bit selective, else they will just end up buying drugs or alcohol. 

(and this from a homeless shelter worker). 

I Don't.. I do not give them anything.. 

Why do people use "literally" in sentences when it means nothing?

• 7 months agoReport

Literally change meaning they're hoping you understand they need more then change, but instead you literally give them chsnge

Panhandling should be severely punished.

They feel obligated I guess

I tell them to get a job, pretty much every place has a 'help wanted' sign.

• 8 months agoReport

You act like that's so easy for everybody, you really are a good for nothing piece of **** 

• Chanel

It could be that they were once in their situation so they know how badly they need the money.

People are all unique.Some people would never give but others do. Some people just give a small amount of change cos they feel obliged to give them something.

• G R

money is money, it all adds up

• 7 months agoReport

I explained that there's great chance no one has helped them out all day dumbass 

The Bible instructs us to give all who ask (but without being Foolish). 

anyway, what do they need to buy that they're not already getting from primarily Christian run Food Banks and mainly Catholic organized Homeless Shelters in addition to Government Welfare Benefits?

• 8 months agoReport

Those places do not give you anywhere close to a sufficient amount of hygiene supliese or resources