I got back strange blood work results. It said I had puffy blood. What does that mean?

Radiation exposure or something else?

Favorite Answer

This isn't a common phrase that lab techs use. You should read the actual results and say what they say, that way we can help you.

EDIT: It could be "spherocytosis" which is when your red blood cells become spherical, one might even use the word "puffy." It's common in anemia caused by autoimmune disease. Part of what your spleen does is destroy defective red blood cells, some people's spleens over do it. That's the usual cause, but some other causes exist that I'm unaware of

No such thing as puffy blood. I seriously doubt that you would ever see a report stating you have puffy blood. 

Sometimes doctors will use baby talk to describe conditions to patients but those are verbal. 

Lab reports don't include baby talk phrases thick blood or thin blood. Puffy makes no sense at all. 

If I were to guess by going to the definition of puffy as being swollen then I would suspect that one is talking about large red blood cells. How large the red blood cells are is found on the report with regards to a number. The larger the number the larger the cell size. You will never see puffy written anywhere. That's just a guess at of the blue. That other answer with regards to spherocytes is also a good guess as any but spherocytes are actually smaller than the normal red blood cells but are spherical rather than biconcave. 

• Mike G

Yes, it's radiation exposure. No doctor needed.

Ask the doctor ok buddy m man

• Daphne1 month agoReport

They don't know what caused it. I thought you might know.

i would ask your doctor about it