Justine asked in PetsReptiles · 4 weeks ago

How can I insulate my snakes enclosure?

I'm having trouble keeping heat inside my snake's enclosure because it is a glass terrarium and my room gets very cold. what can I use to insulate her enclosure? 

• O Man

placing polystyrene sheets on 3 sides of the inside of the tank will provide a bit of insulation. Another option is to buy a small room radiator with thermostat and set it to low 70s F  to heat the room to a higher background temperature.

Glass is pretty good insulation already. If you use a metal cover, you can improve insulation with a cover made of wood, such as pine or plywood, with ventilation holes drilled into the wood. You can waterproof the wood using polyurethane or oil based paint.

One way to heat the enclosure is to use a 15 to 25 watt incandescent lamp about an inch under the cage without touching the glass. It is usually good enough without overheating the cage.

People who breed their snakes often turn off the heat in winter and allow the cage temperature to fall to the 50s degree range. As long as the temperature is above freezing, the snakes will do fine.

• O Man

Drastic temperature drioops is NOT reccomended for juvanile snakes or tropical species.

The easiest thing is just to get a stronger heating pad for her. If you don't have an under tank heating pad already (or at least a heat lamp), go buy one! Most snakes are tropical!

Make a new one using double glazed glass panels. Treat it like you would your house. Failing that, insulate some or all of the sides with polystyrene panels.

• CB

Add a small incandescent light on a thermostat to keep the enclosure at the correct temperature. Probably by a setup easy enough but google it and see what you can do on the cheap if you have any electro-mechanical abilities whatsoever.