Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingOther - Pregnancy & Parenting · 1 month ago

Son wants to go on a road trip with a girl we never met before.?

My 19 year old son, out of school, working full time wants to go on a road trip with a girl, 20, he says he has been "friends" with for about 9 months. My daughter (his sister) tells me she is weird, and very eccentric and doesn't know why my son would be friends never mind go on vacation with her.

He asked to use our camper, and while he hasn't given us any reason not to trust him I'm feeling uneasy. IF it was any of his friends, even some we don't know very well I'd be okay, have a fun time.

He says he really likes her and thinks he likes her as more than just friends, and just wants to see how they get along travelling.

What would you do or handle this situation?

He has met her. He says they have been friends for 9 months, and hang out platonically alone and in group settings at least once a week. 

hes 19, he can do what he wants to do. YOU do not have a right to keep telling him what to do, who to see, where he can or cannot go. BUTTT OUT and let him learn his lesson the hard way. You telling him something is just going to make him rebel against you and do it even more.

Why do you have to "handle" it? Just let the kid go on his vacation and meet someone new. I'm sure she's not an axe murderer or serial killer.

And your daughter sounds like she's judgmental.

• Joe

You raised him right ?  Trust him ?  Have insurance ?  Have fun kids !!!!

If you feel uncomfortable about this trip, then say no to him using the camper. If he hasn't met this girl face to face, then you should advise him to meet her face-to-face first and have her meet you. Chances are they can't afford the road trip without the camper, so saying no to the camper will end the planned road trip. Or maybe they'll just go away for a weekend. If your son hasn't had sex yet, he may figure this girl is his best option at this point to lose his virginity.

He's an adult.

This is his choice

Really, since he is 19, it is truly none of your business. Unless you are paying for his expenses, you need to step off the issue. If he asked to use your property, then you can exercise your ownership rights and parental authority by saying no. However, he has every right to go on a vacation with whomever he wishes.

Not much you can do he's 19.

you might not have a choice but to let him go since hes over 18

• y

Interesting, especially the part about using your camper. Of course, by the time my son was 19 he was on his third or fourth car. Not all of the accidents where his fault mind you, but enough so that he wasn't driving my stuff anymore. Funny, my daughter is out right now driving my car. Strange how this stuff works out, wouldn't you say? Oh, but back to the girl your son is doing. If you trust him with the camper, then bless his trip, he is going on way or the other, until they have a fight of course. Of course your daughter is not going to click with her, that is how it works more times then not, she isn't good enough and all that jazz. I happen to think weird, and very eccentric  is a good thing, especially in a female. Compensates for my steady grounded approach.

• zoom

Well he is an adult now so not much you can do but he may find more trouble then he bargained for by not really knowing her. Now its your camper, if you don't want to loan it to him, then don't.