Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingOther - Pregnancy & Parenting · 1 month ago

I want to be a stay-at-home dad?

Before everyone starts saying "you're lazy", let me make one thing clear. I DON'T have any dream career, any desired job, any career field that I REALLY want to pursue. I work at a call center. It makes good money, but I hate it. I do a good job, but I can't stand it. How can I find something that I like better when there's NOTHING that I'm really interested in doing? I love writing and would love to work as an author full-time, but I doubt that I would ever make a career out of that.

Becoming a father is more important to me than anything, much more important to me than working any type of job. I would love to be a stay-at-home dad. I would be MUCH happier being one than working some lame job I hate or working some job I'm "okay" with. I can't find a well-paying job that I would "love."

I get that stay-at-home dads (or SAH parents in general) get a lot of flack, but what if there's literally NO jobs that interest them? Would it be wrong for me to want to be a stay-at-home dad?

When did I say I think that any job is "easy"? This has NOTHING to do with skill. It has to do with job interests. HOW can I find the "right" job when I don't have any sort of dream career and only care about raising a family?

• sarah
    Favorite Answer

If you want to be a stay-at-home dad and whoever you end up marrying is okay with that, then I say go for it! And I, for one, am most definitely NOT going to call you lazy. I know that a lot of people think stay-at-home moms/dads are lazy and have it SOOO easy, but as someone who just went sprinting back to full-time employment after six months of being a stay-at-home mom, I can assure you that they're wrong...lol.

• Joe

You're lazy....

Most people would say you're lazy, but in reality, some people aren't interested to perform a full time corporate job. But yes,It's possible you can be a stay at home dad so long as you're still able to sustain your family's expenses.  You still have your skills right? you can put up a small business or apply for a home based job.

Of course you think you'd like to become a stay at home dad... and that will all change when you find out how much actual work it takes raising kids, attending to them twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. This involves cleaning upShit, vomit, staying up nights with sick kids, cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, getting the kids to school and other activities on time every day, taking them to the doctor or dentist, and more.

I doubt you can do that if you can't stand working at a call center. Really.

You have a responsibility to support your child even if you do not like your job or ever get that dream job.  You made your bed now lay in it.

It's certainly doable if you can find the right woman. But until then you can work on your writing and start submitting stories to magazines to see if you can get published. If you can publish stories, then you're more likely to get a novel published. If you can write non-fiction such as stories about life from a man's point of view, you can also get that kind of thing published. So start being a writer now and write with an eye to get published. There are a couple of writers' magazines (look for them at Barnes & Noble) that can give you ideas of places to get published.

Even stay at home dad can create a job he can do from home.what's the experience you got by working in the call centre.

Take a piece of paper and write down all the talent you think you have and begin to work on it.

That would be up to your wife! Most women wouldn't want to support their husbands..

You would have to find a wife who's on the same page as you.....discuss this topic before marriage.

I don't think it's wrong for anyone to "want" to be a stay at home parent regardless of their gender.

But since you don't have a spouse or children, you're a bit premature.