Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 month ago

Was Arnold Schwarzenegger a good politician?

Was Arnold Schwarzenegger considered a good politician during his term (I am not from the states)

Yeah I remember the whole illegitimate son / housekeeper thing but I'm just wondering what Californians thought of him as a politician

No. He went into office with ideas about how to tackle California's bloated public pension schemes then folded the first time the nurse's union said "boo" to him. He championed a lot of the "green" legislation that forced our utilities to spend their money on renewables instead of safety (hence the fires we now have). On his way out of office he commuted the prison sentence of a political ally's murdering son. Oh and then there's the whole impregnated the maid and lied about it for decades. Def NOT a great politician...and this is in a state that routinely produces the worst elected officials in the country.

• cjware19741 month agoReport

Well California had the wildfires before Schwarzenegger and have the wildfires after him. The wildfires happen every year.  They act like they are shocked.  Why don't they do something to prevent it.  

I would say he was a 3rd rate governor at best - which makes him several hundred times better than the governor we have now. 

he has good ideas but his executions were not good. california is hated now, and this was not the case before

Depends on how you define a good or bad politician.  He did good things and he did bad things.  In general, I did not hate him, though his elimination of the provision of vocational rehabilitation services definitely knocked him down a few pegs on my scale.  He also rather unequivocally failed to capture the backing of voters, as they rejected all of his propositions in a special election.

I would say that he was definitely not the best, but he was much better than Gray Davis, who he replaced, and I would take him any day over Jerry Brown and Gavin Newsom who showed nothing but contempt for the California Constitution and voters.

Schwarzenegger and Trump are proof that celebrities should not be politicians.

Yes! But as a weight lifter, I love him for his legendary bodybuilding! He’s awesome 

• .. I had no idea one of the biggest celebs on the planet won Mr universe or had muscles

Only good thing he had done as far as I know was terminating Gray Davis.

nope but I promise he will be back lol 

He was OK, not great in my opinion

No. He was an actor but he was not a politician.