I have been receiving disability for 15 years I get 770.00 a month why do some people get 2100.00 a month?

6 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They earned more during working years.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They earned more money when they were working.

• Nancy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Social Security is an insurance program whose payments are based on the premiums you (or the worker) paid. The premiums are based on how much one earns because the worker is paying to be insured against losing their earnings due to disability. So a person who earns more pays more because the earnings they would lose if they were to become disabled are more. A person who doesn't earn very much doesn't pay very much because the loss of earnings isn't very much.

So, the reason someone gets $2,100 instead of $770 is they earned more, paid much higher premiums, and so were insured for more. It'd be no different than if you drove a little Ford Aspire worth $10,000 and paid only $100 a month in premiums to buy you a new one if you were to wreck it. You wouldn't expect the insurance to pay you $75,000 like it pays the guy who drives a BMW 7-Series and pays $500 a month in premiums.

Social Security is insurance. It insures you against a loss in ability to earn because of disability. If you don't earn much and don't pay much, then you don't get much if you become disabled.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I got $4000 a month, but it was short term disability and based on previous income.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Bob
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Greater needs perhaps

Lv 7
    1 month ago

Are you talking about the SSI program?  That's set by the federal government, so everyone gets the same.  Military disability will be different.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.