Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsTennis · 3 months ago

Can I teach myself tennis? ?

It’s been years that I played tennis and when I did play it was basic tennis and I wasn’t all that great. Now I’m 20 and I been talking to this guy that lives 4-5 hours away from me he’s very athletic plays hockey and wants to learn tennis.. he ask me to teach him because (to make conversation) he kept mentioning tennis and I was talking to him like I knew all about it when I really don’t! I’ve watch tennis for many years with my grandfather but that was it I never went to play again and don’t know anything about it. My question is how can I learn it even the basics to show him like I kinda know? Also can I teach myself even in like my background? 

• Nancy

Wow. That's a pickle.

Well, tennis isn't a complicated game. The rules are pretty simple. But it is a hard game. If you've made yourself out to be all that, it's going to be obvious almost immediately that you were lying when you start playing.

So what to do?

It depends on how much time you have.

Worst case, you read up on tennis to know the rules. Maybe you already know them, know how the score works, no the venacular, what "match" and "game" and "set" and "love" mean, know what "topspin" and "backhand" and "forehand" and "netball" are, know what all the lines for are on the court and where you need to stand to serve and all that. If you do, that's great. But if you don't, you're going to have to read the rules and then watch some matches online and try to follow what's going on to better understand the rules and how they're applies.

Best case, you have time to get with someone at a racket club or whatever and have them teach you how to play, not play well, but how to play enough that you fully understand how the game operates.

So what do you do when you see him so that he doesn't find out you're a great big fat liar?

Well, you show up with your elbow wrapped in an ace-bandage you got from Walgreen's and tell him you sprained it this morning trying to stop yourself from falling as you slipped getting out of the shower. You then lie some more and act like it's fine and put on a brave face to teach him, but you're too limited to actually play with him.

To be clear, you don't even want to get on the other side of the net with him because you won't know the footwork, which is too difficult for you to get down as it takes years to get right. He might not know about footwork, but if he's an athlete, he'll be able to see right off that what you're doing with your feet is not at all what you should be. Hopefully he won't ask about footwork or you're sunk. I'd say fake a sprained ankle instead but that would mean there's nothing wrong with your tennis arm (the arm of your dominant hand) and unless something's wrong with your tennis arm, there's no way you're going to be able to fake your way through.

So best chance of doing this without having him find out you lied:

1. Learn the rules of tennis inside and out so that you can talk a good game.

2. Show up with a recent fake injury that will keep you from having to actually play tennis with this athlete and that will result in you two cutting it short and going to get coffee or whatever instead.

practice it and pretend you know what you're talking about maybe get your friends to watch you play it and give you guidance

Teach yourself? How fast can you switch sides of the net? 🤔