Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

How do i stop feeling discouraged with my business? ?

I have a new cleaning company. I usually work alone or have a helper. If i work alone it can take up to 6-8 hours to clean an entire house with detailed service such as cleaning windows sills, dusting, and cleaning baseboards, making beds, folding clothes, cleaning caked on mold in showers etc. I work really hard. The customers usually complain that it takes a long time to do the job. I only charge 125 since its a new business and im trying to grow. The last customer i had rushed me so much that i didnt finish all the detailed work and then sent me a text that she wants me to clean again next month but wants me to do a better job cleaning downstairs since she didnt want me to finish last time. I had other customers complain that the job is done too slow but also complained that their last cleaner moved too fast but did a poor job. Ive been cleaning for over 5 years while in college and i feel as though they want me to clean as if its a commercial property and not a home. Please help. I feel like maybe this is not for me if i cant move quick enough. Also if i have a helper they usually need direction and it takes just as long giving instructions

• Mark
    Favorite Answer

It's the old business adage:  You can have it CHEAP, FAST, GOOD but only 2 of 3.

At $125 for 7 hours equals $17.86/hr.  Okay for someone working FOR you, but not as the owner.  And that's time taken away from what you should be doing: running the business. You need to hire people and focus on sales and recruiting.  You need to pay enough to attract good talent that can clean quickly and efficiently and have enough left for a profit.  You should also look into base fees + add-ons.  A basic cleaning but more per bathroom or separate charge for windows depending on number of windows or perhaps offer once a season inside and outside window cleaning.

Stop take deep breaths pray for strength to endure guidance to know whether 2 heads and 4 hands are better than just # person running a business is hard strenuous time consuming work and effort and a  whole lot of patience is needed to wait til it gets fully off the ground so to speak another key factor to succeeding is you have to truly love what you're doing if not giving up will come easy. As far as training others that's part of a job description too so try to pick reliable hardworking dedicated people or person who needs a job not just a hobby on the side so to speak. Do self analysis for sure if it's meant to be it will be .

• denise

WHEN YOUR CLEANING SOMEONES HOUSE SO THOROUGHLY AND FOR SUCH A REASONABLE COST, THEY SHOULD BE GRATEFUL!!.

THEY GET OUT OF THE HOUSE/ MESS FOR A FEW HOURS, AND ITS SPOTLESS WHEN THEY RETURN!!. Put your prices up, your'e worth it.

I wish we had such a service more local to us.

Have a conversation with each client prior to cleaning.see what their expectations are. I would love to have someone do a deep clean for $125.00 and wouldn't care how long it took!

You need a better help who can what needs to be done without constantly being given directions.

• y

Age old balancing question between quality and quickness. I'm assuming in college you used to work for another company, how long did a house take back then? A helper, like any new person, takes up time in training. The benefit comes long term, if you retain them. Your business should be looking at long term, not the short term hits.

By the sound of things, I think you need to take on help to take some of the pressure off you, my friend. 

Don’t over complicate the question. Your job isn’t rocket science, you make it sound so hard UgH I HaVe To BrUsH a FlOoR UgHhH