Anonymous

I’m to depressed to shower any advice?

I’m a 15 year old girl and I haven’t shower in  4 days. Please don’t tell me to get over it and shower that’s not going to help. I just need advice before school.

It must feel really bad to be immobilized by this depression you are feeling. Sadly, there is no magic answer. This kind of thing happens to people of all ages - where you just don't feel like getting out of bed or doing anything. Although time often heals, it sounds like you are really down in the dumps. Even if showering is not an option right now, what about some smaller step like just getting out of bed and getting dressed. Or going outside for 5 minutes. It's going to take baby steps, but you are the one that's going to have to take that first one. Good luck. 

Depression is a very complex topic and unfortunately many people suffer it. There is no textbook answer for it as every person is different, therefore, you will have to figure how to cope: whether that is venting it out (to someone or maybe a diary), stay distracted, self-care, etc.. Showering may help you feel better, at least physically, which is a big step to help you feel better emotionally and mentally. Good luck.

You need to get over it and shower. Sounds harsh but you have to break that mental cycle and the only way to do that is to do what you don’t want to do. If you keep on feeding your depression you are feeding negativity. Replace the negativity with positivity. You want advice then get something to motivate you to shower. Like find a love interest or go out with friends or just do it to feel nice. 

Perhaps text a helpline?

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I've been there myself and I understand how it feels. Maybe attempt a shower schedule that you can manage. Every two days, or whatever works. Washing up in the sink is my go to when I can't muster energy for much else. Baby wipes are good for freshening up throughtout the day. I hope this gets easier for you. Have you talked to an adult about your depression? It might be helpful to see a doctor about it if you aren't already. 

Your crotch area must be ripe!

• Alan H

If you cannot shower, then sponge yourself down  all over.   If the fear persists, seek medical advice.

With all due respect please shower.   Once with Bi-Polar I didn't sleep for five days.  I am not sure what is wrong with you but something sure seems to be.

If you can move enough to go to school, you can move enough to take a shower.

One of the keys to life is learning to do things that you may not want to do by just moving forward and doing them.

I recently saw a Ted talk and the speaker was talking about how to stop sabotaging yourself and get what you want out of life. She said something SO simple that I have thought about a lot. She says getting what you want is SIMPLE, but not EASY.

Here was her exersize: Set your alarm for 1/2 hour earlier than you usually do, then when it goes off - PUSH YOURSELF OUT OF BED AND START YOUR DAY. Simple, yes, easy, NO! She said that push, that thing that you really don’t want to do - is what it takes to get what you want. You have to WORK for it and make the effort.

This simple exersize can be applied to everything. We will always want to float, glide, do things the easy way,, go with the flow, expend as little effort as possible. But if you WANT something, you give it that extra push of effort to move yourself toward it.

You can also think in baby steps. Rather than face the whole “shower” thing, Step 1 - go into the bathroom and get your towel, cloth, soap, shampoo ready. Step 2 - turn on the water and let it get hot. Step three - while you wait for the water to get hot get undressed. Step 4 - step into the shower. Step 5 - soap up and shampoo, Step 6- rinse. Breaking it up into smaller goals and you’ve just taken a shower.

It helps to think of depression as a some THING that has decided to call your heart and head 'home'. And IT is not a welcomed 'guest'. IT needs to be evicted. And the one sure way to get IT to leave it to refuse to allow IT to control what you DO. So whether you FEEL like it - or NOT - you DO what needs to be done. Like eat well. Get to bed early. SHOWER and go to work or school. And when IT tries to stop you - and IT will - tell IT to f*ck off.