Is it ok to?

Is it ok to say hello and make eye contact with strangers

Men might think im gay but women dont mind right?

It should be okay, as long as you only hold the eye contact for a second and smile before looking away. Holding eye contact with a stranger for a longer time can make them feel uncomfortable. 

Also understand that while it is friendly to smile at strangers, some people may not like it. There is nothing you can do about that.

• Ludwig

nnnnnnnnnnnnno. Not always.

yes this is a fine and normal thing to do, even considered nice. i would appreciate when some one does this

It’s nice that you want to say hello to strangers but sadly, many people think it’s not “normal” so you may come off as a weirdo or something. 

I work in a bustling downtown core and when I go for lunch or walks and a random guy says hi when we walk past each other, I do say hello back...but I’m kind of thrown off or I wonder who the heck that was. Why did he say hi? What’s the deal? So I put my ear buds back in and don’t make any eye contact for a while. 

It’s almost sad. But there are creeps out there that can’t take a hint and make us feel uncomfortable and that isn’t cool 

• martin

It's unfortunately not OK to say hi to a stranger in all too many towns. The smaller the town, the more it's expected to say hello. Contrast places like San Francisco of NYC with places like Atlanta or some rural college campus.

It's not a gender difference; there are people who dislike eye contact but you can't really tell who it might be in advance. I'd say make eye contact but if the person deliberately avoids it, then stop trying to do that and look a bit off to the side.