Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesOther - Arts & Humanities · 1 month ago

Am I mixed handed?

I thought I was left handed for my whole life but now I'm pretty sure I'm mixed handed. I thought I was left handed for my whole life because I write and eat etc. with my left hand. But I do stuff with my right hand too like throwing, using a knife, etc. I had never heard of mixed handed until a few days ago. Am I, because I do many things with both hands and I'm just confused. Thanks!

That is called cross dominance. Each hand is strong for a specific purpose. I also write left handed but my right hand is the strongest and is used with all tools. My left hand holds a pen, fork, and spoon.

• Gavin1 month agoReport

Thanks, that's also called mixed-handed though right?

Handsome and mixed handed are both sentences that originate from a sentence.

I've never heard the expression 'mixed handed' before, but from what you say, it's clear it's not at all the same as 'ambidextrous'. I see that @Barkley Hound calls it 'cross dominance', which certainly makes sense.'Ambidextrous', as you rightly say, is when you can use both hands equally well, and clearly you can't.

Many people have some degree of 'mixed handedness'.I'm right-handed but unlike all my right-handed friends I'm totally unable to get onto a bicycle from its left: I have to have the bike on MY left, put my right foot on the pedal, push off, and lift my left foot over to the bike's left side. If I try to do it from the other side I lose my balance immediately and have to jump off.

But in every other respect I'm a normal right-hander.

You might be confused but you are ambidextrous.

• Gavin1 month agoReport

Am I? Because ambidextrous is when you can use both hands for everything and I can't. I use my left hand for some stuff. And my right hand for some stuff.

Technically you are but people who write with their right and left hands are called ambidextrous. I am left handed in writing and right handed in many other things. i just asked my mom and she said people who write with their left hands usually do everything else with their left hands. But i said I do everything else with my right hands. So yeah I guess we are AMBIDEXTROUS. lol.

• Gavin1 month agoReport

Do you mean cross-dominant or mixed handed because ambidextrous is when you are able to use both hands for things.

• Linda

I'm mixed handed and so are you.

• .

You may be ambidextrous

You may be. that would be soo cool. you're talented

Can you write well with both hands?

Left handed people can also have good right hands because everything is made for right handed people so left handed people end up using their right hand a lot anyway so thus strengthening the weaker hand, but that doesn't mean you will be able to write with both hands unless you practice that.

• Gavin1 month agoReport

No only left hand I can write with.

That's called ambidextrous and there a are few people that can actually do that.

• Gavin1 month agoReport

No that's when you can do stuff with both I can do some stuff with left, and some with right hand.