Requirements for visiting America?

Hi, I’m 16 and plan to visit family in New York City. I plan to do this by coach as it’s much cheaper, but what things do I need to enter a new country by couch? Will I need a passport? A travelling visa? An ID? If I lack these things, will they just send me home? Also, anyone who’s travelled coach to a new country before, do they just drop you off at the coach station and that’s it? 

American citizens entering the U.S. must show a valid passport, U.S. passport card, Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST), or an enhanced driver's license. If you have any questions, contact your carrier to find out if they require a specific document.

• drip

You should first start by telling us where you are coming from. 

To enter the USA you will need a passport. Depending on what country you are coming from you need to check what kind of Visa /ESTA you need. You also need to check you need as an unaccompanied minor.  All this you can find online. 

Coach? You mean a bus? You can check the bus web site for routes, and costs online. It will tell you where  the pick up and drop off is located. No it might not be at a station.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visa...

Methinks you should stay home until you get a clue

• Ashton1 month agoReport

I’m not gonna up and leave tomorow! 😂 what do you think I’m trying to do, I’m asking people to get a “clue”

To America - from where?

You definitely need a passport. If you are a citizen of Canada or a country in the "visa waiver program" (most of western Europe and a few other countries), and are just visiting for under 3 months, then you don't need a visa. If you are staying longer than 3 months (6 for Canadians) or will be working in the U.S., then you need a visa.

For adults, that's it. Because you are 18, there will be additional requirements, but I don't know them.

Also, some coach companies won't allow someone under 18 traveling alone, so make sure that you've found one that will take you before you start your trip.

The driver (or someone else) may take a quick look to see if you have the right documents when you get on; if you obviously don't, then they might not let you on the coach. The official check by government officials happens when the coach drives over the border; if you're rejected there, it's a much bigger deal; you'll probably get on a coach going back the other way. And make sure you have enough money to pay for that.

• Daniel

If you are from the UK, how do you plan on getting to the US by a coach bus?

If you plan on flying to Canada or Mexico first, you will need a passport.  You will need to check with the Mexican embassy about whether or not you will need a visa to go there.  To fly into Canada, a Brit needs to apply for an eTA

Brits need to apply for the visa waiver program to get into the US.  The documentation required to cross into the US by land is the same as by air (the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative doesn't apply to Brits).

As for being a minor, I don't know the exact details, but you are probably going to need some sort of documentation verifying that your parents are OK with you traveling out of the country.

No one needs a full passport to cross into the US by land. You will, however, since you are over 15, need identification, a government-issued photo ID like a passport card, an enhanced driver's licence or a provincial/state ID card. If you flew to North America from the UK, you had to have a passport. A passport IS identification, the best there is.

Yes, if you lack one of those you will not be allowed to enter the US. The bus will stop at the border, everyone gets off, and that's where your ID will be checked and your luggage inspected.Then everyone gets back on, if they had the right ID. If not, the person and their luggage go back to the country they came from. How you get home from there is your problem, not the bus company's problem.

At your age, since you are a minor travelling without a parent, you will also need a letter from both parents or a legal guardian authorizing you to travel into the US, or any other country for that matter. The letter needs contact info for the parents and for the adult who will be responsible for you in that country. You can google 'child consent letter' and find examples.

You didn't say if you're coming in from Canada or from Mexico. Canadians do not need visas to be in the US for short stays, like under 6 months. I don't know about Mexico. Ah, I see your reply to another poster. If you're a UK citizen you need a visa for the US and a separate one for Canada or Mexico. Why aren't your parents checking all this stuff for you?

If you travel by coach, you get off at the station you paid to go to. That's it. You're on your own after that. That's all a bus company does, take you from A to B.

• Mike

Is coach a Canadian word for bus? To get into the US, you will need a passport no matter how you travel. You will be checked at the border. Once cleared, you can ride without further ado to the Port Authority bus station.

• ANDRE L

Since the only places you can get a bus that will drive you to the US are Canada and Mexico, you cannot take a coach from the UK to the US.

• John

You'll need to bring a big bunch of carrots for the horses.

• Ashton1 month agoReport

You do realise coach is basically a type of bus in the uk?

• Nancy

By coach or by couch, that's not happening. You missed the last coach by over a century.  As for "by couch," while not a mode of international transport into the United States, "to enter a new country by couch" does smack of a certain whimsy I'd be willing to try.

• Ashton1 month agoReport

You’ve got hella problems 😂 problems that therapy won’t even help you with