Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCommunity Service · 9 months ago

Can a non-poor, non-needy person go to a donation center and take some donations for free?

I know this may seem wrong to do, and I don't even think I'd do it myself, but I was just wondering if a regular person that is not poor, not needy, and not homeless can still go to a donation center like Goodwill or Salvation Army and take some of the donations that other people have brought, without paying anything.

• susan

Goodwill takes donated items and sells them for extremely low cost. Anyone may shop there. As far as I know, nothing in the Goodwill store is free, but all of it is extremely inexpensive. It's a good place to shop on a budget for dishes and other household items as well as clothes. They want customers to shop there, so nothing wrong with well off people taking advantage of the bargains.

Salvation Army, as far as I know, helps homeless people that are staying out on the street, and helps people who experience disaster such as losing all your belongings when your apartment building burns. I don't know of any income qualifications to recieve their help, but you'd have to be in extreme circumstances for it to be offered. 

There may be some places that offer assistance to the needy that don't have a rule about how needy you have to be. But as none of them have unlimited resources, it wouldn't be nice to take free stuff if you don't find yourself in need.

• kswck2

If you have no conscious, Yes. These types of shelters provide assistance, no questions asked. 

Not many can.. My wife and I were actually homeless in Ca. after the quake in 94. WE did manage to move to Texas  with what we could salvage and was told by Salvation Army and the GoodWill we could not get help from them and all we were asking for was a Stove to cook on and a Small refer to keep food in for the house we used all our savings on to rent.. 

AND NO... TO THIS day we will not donate anything to them.. 

I will burn something before giving it to them to sell at almost new prices... 

Some people do that all the time.

i dont think so, you might have to pay for it

Well first off, to my knowledge based on places in my area, the stuff in a thrift store is at a discounted price, but still costs money. So if you took stuff from either goodwill or salvation army it would be stealing...

• martin

You shouldn't take the free stuff, but it's a good idea to shop at a Goodwill store for great bargains and great quality possibilities.

They do it all the time.