Iamiblisdautr asked in SportsCycling · 8 months ago

Would you be happier with a single speed bicycle or a 18 speed bicycle?

i compromised and bought a 9 speed. i figure fewer gears will jam up less frequently

• Land Rider Jerry

Learn how to shift then they won't be jamming up.

• David

If I could only own one bicycle, I’d go with an 18-speed.

Since I already have geared bikes, having a Single-Speed as well - for special occasions - might be fun.

On 2nd thoughts, is that 18-speed a 2x9 or a 3x6? 

A 3x6 bought new today is likely to be a very cheap, poor quality bike. Upgrading it to where it’d hold up to my kind of riding would probably cost more than the bike itself. 

If that is all my money would reach to, I’d be better off spending what little I have on a SS. Less parts to spread the money over, each part can be a little better, and cost a little more.

Single speed and/or "track bikes" are best suited to either flat terrain outdoors or a Velodrome track.  Bikes with gears are best suited for hills, wind, traffic & us 'old farts' suffering from physical disabilities - degenerative disc disease in lower back, arthritic hips & knees.  

Seeing that I live close to an Italian neighborhood in St. Louis affectionately & appropriately nicknamed "The Hill", I'll keep my bikes (plural - 5 of them) with GEARS!     

• KTJoe

I'd be happier with laws banning bicycle riding and bicycle tow trailer riding in busy high traffic streets. Bicycle tow trailer riders usually are carrying small children and animals, a very nerve racking sight for motorist.

• OldHippie

Funny...  I went grocery shopping the other day using my cargo trailer.  NO CAR now for 11 years!  Bicycles are legally defined VEHICLES, the same as an Amish horse & buggy or a farm tractor on a skinny 2 lane road.  They're a lot harder to see around & pass vs. a bicycle.  DUH! 

You need at least 3.