Does an rx 480 work with any system as long as it has a compatible power supply?

Hi I have a hp compaq 8100 elite. My pc has a 250 watt power supply and wont run my radeon rx 480. If I were to add a 500 watt power supply which is compatible with the card would it work?

If you can add a 500w power supply with the appropriate 8-pin or 6-pin PCI-E power connectors then you can get it to work. With some of these HP and Lenovo desktops, you will have to find a 24-pin to whatever sized pin adapter in order to connect the PSU to the motherboard.

If the PC is a SFF sized (Small Form Factor) then you're out of luck with physically installing the card into the chassis/case. However there are alternatives.

-If the motherboard follows the ATX sizing standards then you can simply move the components to a new chassis/case. However these 'refurbished' business class desktops have been known to use motherboards which follow the BTX form factor which would make it impossible to install the components into an aftermarket case. The alternative is you'd have to install the components into something like a Cryptocurrency mining frame, or an open case like the Thermaltake Core P3.

-If you can secure the card externally, you can connect the card to the motherboard with a PCI-E x16 riser 

https://www.newegg.com/p/1W7-007Y-00001?Descriptio...

• Dick

You're running into a typical problem that exists with those small cases. You cannot necessarily use standard components in them and that's why Dell and HP sell them so you have to buy parts from them. A cheap fix would be to purchase a cheap mid or full sized case and move all of your internal components over into the new case with the better power supply. It's a simple way out of your dilemma!

Perhaps.  Check which BIOS version you have and which is necessary.  You will not find that information on line from HP or anyone else.  Maybe on power up you might see it.  If not, you will have to call HP support and beg them to tell you.  You are not supposed to know.

Also, I assume you have the minitower model, not the small form factor case.  Card will not fit in that.

Source(s): Just got a GTX 1650 4GB Windforce from Gigabyte. Will not run on a Gigabyte MB because BIOS is not UEFI. That was not shown on line or in reviews or on the shipping box. Only Customer Support tells after the sale. Now stuck with card that will not run, but will fit inside a case that has a MB with UEFI only by disconnecting all SATA cables to the drives.

Of course it would

Did you know single phase could be spit easily

Source(s): I am a Spark

GPU Power

110 W