Will it hurt if I put a brand new alternator on my truck if the current one is still in good condition even though its 7 years old ?

I hear alternators can usually last only 7 years but the current alternator I'm using now was installed back in 2012 and still runs good as of today but I have a brand new I had just bought a week ago.

Will it hurt if I put the brand new one on or just keep the current one one ?

It is a good idea to replace old parts (preventive maintenance, to keep from breaking down).

• ron h

If you're going to be driving the transcon hwy and being in places where there's NO PARTS, tow a trailer with a donkey in it.

It's a wast of money to replace an alternator that is still working. I've gotten over 280,000 miles on a 2000 Pontiac and it still works just fine.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • JetDoc

If it ain't broke... DON'T FIX IT!

• Bort

Alternators don't have a life span. They either work or they don't. It's that simple. If the one that's in the vehicle still works the only things you're doing by replacing it is wasting time, doing work that doesn't need to be done, and wasting money. Return the one you bought. You don't need it.

My alternator is 21 years old and running strong. Unless you short or abuse an alternator overloading it, the one thing you can expect to wear is the brushes. Those can easily be replaced if you don't mind doing the work installing the $5 part. So, if you want to spend $100-$500 on something you don't need right now, go ahead.

I don't know where you heard that, but I have a 2001 vehicle with the original alternator and no reason to believe it will fail in the next decade.

To answer the original phrasing of your question: The only thing you would harm by unnecessarily replacing parts with otherwise good parts would be your finances.

Won't hurt, but it will be a waste of money to replace something that works fine.

If you have an American brand car, replace it. If it's a Toyota, Honda, or other Japanese make, it will last well beyond 100K

Same for the water pump.

• CB

It will only hurt your wallet, I haven't put an alternator in a car in the last 30 years and I keep my cars, 15+ years and well into 100k miles. If it ain't broke don't fix it.  The next alternator may be the one that fails prematurely.