Senior citizen living alone, how do you feel that you will die in the not to distant future?

One can't help thinking about dying. Especially when one starts getting old. But I always say that death can be a youth's worst enemy and at the same time, death can be a welcome friend to someone old and feeble. It all depends on your perspective!

I've suffered a lot of serious illness since childhood but in adulthood alone I've had a stage 4 cancer, 2 strokes and a heart condition which has recently caused me new problems.  I don't worry about death because, as a born-again Christian I do not fear it.  I know I'll be in a better place and, as most of my family believe that also, we have peace about this issue.  If God wishes me to have another week that's good, if he wishes me to have another year or half a decade so be it.  It will be his decision and He'll be with me throughout until He takes me home to be with Him.  Death is as natural as birth.

Fine. I have lived a good life, and dealt honestly with my fellow humans. Now I have a great reward awaiting in heaven. It's all good.

• Jojo

You can but hope! 🤣🤣

• death is not the end, just the continuation onto new destinies.

• Jojo

Haha...You can but hope on that issue! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• reme_1

I am 70 and living alone with 2 little dogs. What scares me is not the dying but who will take care of my fur babies and take care of my remains and personal items, finances, etc. My family is far away and I don't know anyone yet in the area that I would trust. I am trying to prepare for my death and get everything in order- even though I am not sick or anything. Since my mom passed away after my being her care taker for 7-8 years (with dementia) I wanted to try to get back to my business but it seems so long ago I no longer feel confident. My memory seems to be shaky sometimes. BUT trying to live on social security alone is impossible.

I went through that reality last year when I was diagnosed with lung cancer. It is un-nerving to put it mildly. After I learned to manage the anxiety of it I did the things I felt I wanted to do before I died which were to 1) Make out a Will 2) Get right with God 3) Pay off my car and home incase the treatment bills were more than I could afford. 

Now, if I go terminal, I am prepared. I don't look forward to the day at all, but I'm prepared which brings comfort and not anxiety.

• Zirp

Same as you. Neither of us is going to be around in 2119

Since I have already had to deal with the huge fear of dying at age 47 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I have a different prospective about it. I'm lucky now to have lived another 19 years, but I know it could come back to get me, something else could happen. I just want to go painless & easy, but many of us don't get to go that way. I often do think about why so many have to die in pain or worse yet alone. I know there is a huge chance I will be alone. I'm not happy about that, but there's really nothing I can do about it. I have a daughter & four grandchildren, but they live in another state, and I wouldn't want to burden any of them anyway.

Depends on what you call "not to [sic] distant future". In several years, once I turn 100, I plan to be shot by a jealous husband.

Potentially eaten by my cats.