Trying to find CD player that doesn't humm. listen to hypnotherapy at night. £40 budget?

I return them due to a humming sound. I play white noise at night. Can anyone recommend one no more than £40 ish. The brand doesn't matter to me, as long as it does the job with no other sound that the gentle white noise. colour doesn't matter either within reason. Thanks

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Mr. P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The problem with a CD is that it needs to spin to read the data. Therefore there will always be the sound of the disc spinning.

What you need is a solid state recording of rain or white noise, and a USB drive or SD card would do that for you, plus is more energy efficient (Just reading data not spinning anything)

Then use a set of bluetooth headphones with an SD card slot built in. - Just slot the card in and listen all night if you want.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It’s not the CD player itself which produces the humming noise, but the amplifier. 

If you’re listening to a cheap CD player using headphones, then the problem is the cheap built-in headphone amplifier. 

Unfortunately your extremely low budget isn’t going to buy you a hum-free amplifier. 

Your £40 includes 17.5% VAT. So the true price of the player itself is just £32.04. That price includes the retailer profit margin, the wholesaler margin, and the manufacturer profit margin. It also has to pay for the unit to have been shipped from the other side of the planet. Once you strip out factory staff wages your £40 player will have cost under £10 to make. That just pays for a CD player which works, not one with great sound quality. 

If you want hum-free then first look for a new or used CD player (or a DVD player) which has a digital optical output or maybe a coaxial digital output (optical is better as it totally isolates the electronic noise (hum) produced from the CD player so that it cannot affect the next device it is connected to, which will be your amplifier. You CAN buy amplifiers for headphones only, and they can be immensely better than the built-in headphone amps even on high quality CD players. 

You get what you pay for, and if you’re on a tight budget then you’re going to have to accept some compromises. But if you have a branch of Richer Sounds near to you they can give you lots of good advice and then direct you to some decent bargains. Even if you don’t buy from them you’ll have a far better idea what to look for when you search eBay for the best used equipment you can find.

Buy wisely (won’t be cheap, but doesn’t need to cost a fortune, either) and you can experience hum-free silence in the quiet passages of what you listen to, even at elevated volume settings. Buy wisely but on a tighter budget and you’ll still get hum, but it could be greatly reduced and the actual sound quality of the humming could be far less unpleasant.

• David
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

A CD for white noise is kind of dumb, why not just use a thumb drive.  No moving parts.

They only hum because they can't remember the words.

• 1 month ago

I have never heard a CD player hum.

Any hum you hear is likely to be due to connection faults. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

CD players do not humm. If you hear a humm, it may be the result of computer equipment sending radio interference frequencies to your amplifier, often through an unshielded audio cable. You can try disconnecting everything except the CD player from the amp when not in use or use a shielded cable or try one of those portable CD player/clock radios.

• Adam1 month agoReport

Where I live it is dead silent which is why I can here that noise

• Tony B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I doubt you'll manage to find a CD player that doesn't make some kind of physical noise. If you could use a separate speaker I suppose you could move the actual player to where you couldn't hear it.

If you just want to hear white noise couldn't you just use a phone, i-pad or computer? Youtube has recordings of white noise and a completely electronic device should make no noise.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.