Is custard the same or very similar to pudding?

Is custard and pudding the same in any way at all, are they close to being the same thing? If they are, can I make actual, proper custard simply with instant pudding?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • denise
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

Custard, when it sets, is quite similar to instant pudding.

But cannot be made with instant pudding, I'm afraid.

• 12 months ago

A custard is made with eggs and a milk or cream. 

Pudding does not have to have eggs.

The thickening of a custard comes from the eggs. 

The thickening of a pudding comes from a starch usually cornstarch (aka cornflour) or flour. 

• 12 months ago

It is very similar. If you do it right, people probably won't notice the difference.

• 12 months ago

that's like comparing apples to bananas...

Custard is a sweet sauce that you pour over your pudding

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    12 months ago

If that's a serious question then you really shouldn't be thinking of cooking anything!

No, the two things are completely different. Custard is a kind of sauce that might br poured over some desserts including some puddings and pies - sponge pudding and custard, apple pie and custard etc.

• 12 months ago

Yes, speaking in very general terms, like appearance, texture, and taste. Both are (usually) sweetened preparations using milk and thickened, with eggs in the case of custard, with flour or cornstarch in the case of pudding. However, one of the staples in my pantry is Bird's Custard Powder which is prepared without eggs. In the UK, the word pudding is a general term for a dessert of any kind. There are also things like Yorkshire pudding and blood pudding, and plum pudding.

The only way you could turn instant pudding into custard is to cook it, using eggs to thicken it. Who knows how that would turn out. I don't know what cooking would do to the thickeners that are meant to work at room temperature.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

Custard is custard. And when I was growing up, pudding meant ANY dessert, so the question makes no sense.

• Janet
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

They are both soft, and both sweet ... but that is the extent of the similarity.

Pudding is made with milk, sugar, and cornstarch, cooked slowly on the stove-top until it thickens.

Custard is made with milk, less sugar, and eggs, and baked until it becomes somewhat firm.

• 12 months ago

custard is eggy, meaning it is thickened with egg.

Pudding is not, its thickened with flour, cornstarch or other thickeners.

they are NOT the same.

Both good but not the same

• 12 months ago

'Custard' has two different meanings.  One is any gooey treat you eat out of a dish, like pudding.  The other is milk thickened with egg.  Any recipe that has milk and eggs and thickens when it heats is custard (including french toast!)  One kind of ice cream is made with milk and eggs, heated up before it's frozen, and that's called 'custard ice cream'.

So instant pudding would be custard in one sense, not in the other. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.