How much allowance should be given to a 16 year old for doing a decent amount of chores weekly?

I agree with Jill. Children shouldn't be paid for doing chores around the house. They are expected to pitch in with the work that needs to be done because that is what being part of a family is all about. So they set the table, do their own laundry, walk the dog, pull weeds, vacuum their room or whatever they are capable of doing at their own age. The purpose of an allowance is to teach kids to manage their money -- to save it for the things they want to buy. If they fritter it away on candy or comic books, then they don't get to go to the movies with friends or whatever.

Well in my house if you have to be told, reminded or forget you get to clean up dog poop for a month for 5 dogs.

It depends on what you do...keep room clean, do your laundry, feed dog, walk it. Vacuum, mow yard....those are alll jobs our kids do daily without asking.

Do you have your own room, a cell phone, video games, food, shoes, computer, those are all types of payment, parent just give.

$25 a week and you can use it for lunch or pack your lunch and save money.

If that wasn't good enough then nothing...oh that 25 is for taking care of the whole yard, back and front and helping with dishes and dinners nightly.

Youd hate living at my house.

• Jill

I don't think that kids should get paid for doing their chores. It should just be a given that they will do their share of the chores like everyone else in the home (who are not being paid for it). I think $20 per week is enough. If they want more they can get a part time job.

• Nancy

Assuming you're paying for everything else and not expecting them to buy all their clothes, buy themselves lunch at school every day, or gas and insure a car with that allowance, somewhere between $20 and $50, but only if you can afford it.  If you're poor, then so's your 16-year-old.

None.............

Depends on how much work they do, is it daily or weekly? And it also depends on the type of work they do, whether it's heavy labor or something easy such as doing laundry or the dishes. If it's very light work, once a week, I would give about $20.00 or $25.00/day

20-50 dollars a week

• zeno

Minimum wage minus what it costs to provide

For him.

however much you can afford to give him

• Brian

With the cost of things now if you factor in Inflation, I beleive it is up to $2000 an hour.