I work at a restaurant and I think everybody thinks I am a wimp?

I am a prep cook and I told my boss that I am afraid of using a knife because my knife skills a poor and I don't want to lose a finger and I already cut myself she was cool with it but I feel like everybody else thinks I am a wimp.

I know this question is a month old but please... find a new job that doesn't involve using knives.

Your boss isn't really cool with it, they just don't want a recorded workman's comp injury when you loose a finger.  When you cut yourself, you contaminate the knife and any prep surfaces or food your blood comes in contact with.  If I was your boss, I would tell you not to use a knife if you aren't comfortable with it, but then I would be considering how I was going to replace you.  You might have to decide if this is the job for you and if you want to stay with it, then learn to properly use a knife.  I don't see you lasting very long on this job, I've never heard of a prep cook with poor knife skills.

Well,

You applied for the job position knowing that food prep would involve using a knife, and you were hired for it. There are several tips I can give you here:

1- Use cut resistant gloves- You can purchase these gloves at many stores, and they will protect you from slicing off a hand or finger. They won't protect from small lacerations, but if you wear them, no matter what you won't lose a finger while cutting.

2- When you cut food always make a fist with one hand, and put it about 2 inches away from the food you are about to cut, use your other hand to use the knife and each slice you make, push your other hand further away. This tactic will prevent you from slicing your hand/finger(s), and will assure you cut the food into the right portions

3- Key thing is NEVER rush, always go slow when cutting! If it takes 10 minutes to cut a slice of chicken, then it takes 10 minutes, its better to go slow and not rush. Whenever you start rushing, that's when mistakes happen and people get hurt.

I work at a restaurant, and I have never sliced my self using a knife! Ironically though, I have sliced myself on other things accidentally, but that goes back to point #3.

YouTube has plenty of help for you

watch and Learn

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=safe+...

There is a word that describes it but I wouldn't call it a wimp. That's too kind.

• Judy

If you're afraid to use a knife, either learn how, or find some other job than prep cook. Sounds like a troll question.

Prep cook who wont cut things...good luck with that

• audrey

Get a pair of Kevlar gloves. Alton Brown on the food channel used them. Then you CAN'T cut yourself.

I think you will not be working there or in any restaurant for long.

just wear heavy gloves so you cant cut yourself