Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 3 weeks ago

Should police, fire departments and military have lower standards for women as has sometimes been practiced?

Why or why not?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • susan
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Best answer

I vote no. No one should be hired for these types of jobs unless they have the physical stamina and strength to do whatever the job requires. Lowering the standards in the interest of inclusion puts the other first responders/ military personnel at risk, as well as putting the public they protect at greater risk.

• 3 weeks ago

where is the proof?

• WaldoBC
      Lv 6
      2 weeks agoReport

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/army-fitness-requirements/army-pft-two-mile-run-score-chart

• Elana
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The standards should reflect the job being hired for.

If you're hiring for somebody to communicate with the local population to establish insurgents, your ability to haul a cannon up a hill isn't that important, but your skill in the local language IS.

I think standards should be appropriate for the job in question, not the would-be candidate.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Not if they are doing the same job.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jack
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

"Should police, fire departments and military have lower standards for women as has sometimes been practiced?"

I'm inclined to say no because there are aspects to some of these jobs (I'm thinking more of the fire department) that are subject to strength standards that, if the responder cannot meet, will ultimately result in people dying.

• 3 weeks ago

Well, no, considering the way you phrase the question. But as the other poster mentioned, women can have certain benefits to the team that you generally wont find from men. If you're a fire Department and you only have big strong men, maybe you should look at add more petite fighters that can fit in certain places. This can be filled by a male or female. This isn't lowering the standards.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I think women shouldn't be allowed in any of those fields in the first place. The only reason society even humored the idea of women being in those fields is because the government forced it on society due to feminists demanding it.

It's also shameful when any society has women that lead men in male dominated fields. The fact that men allow such shameful garbage in the west only speaks badly of them and their standing as men. Why any man would sign up to be led by a woman is beyond me especially in something like the military.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

The issue is whether the standards fit the needs of the military or whatever other organization there is. When the issue of physical standards comes up a lot of people reflexively oppose the idea of adjusting standards. But this assumes that the physical standards which we had were a value neutral and accurate representation of what is necessary to do the job. Often they weren't, and instead were based around cultural notions of who or what a soldier or firefighter or cop should be. I remember an interview on the radio with a female veteran who had served in Afghanistan or Iraq (I forget which) and someone asked about women being smaller and generally less strong than men and implied that this was a weakness. And she replied that the military needs all kinds of people. When we're talking about breaking down a door or hauling big pieces of cargo then a big muscular guy might be the best person for the job. But when it's about going through a window or into a tunnel then a smaller person, perhaps a woman, might be better. Many jobs in todays military don't require immense levels of strength or size. In the end it's not about trying to maintain a cultural assumption that cops or soldiers or firefighters are all big beefy guys but about giving those organizations what they need.

• 3 weeks ago

No. Why? Because the male members will count on their female colleagues to back them up just like they would expect their male colleagues to do.

Where I live, the female fire fighter cadets take exactly the same grueling physical tests that their male cadets take. The failure rate for females is higher than the males, but for those females that pass, everyone in the department knows those females can carry the load...literally. In fact some excel...we have several fire departments in the area where the Fire Chiefs are females. [See source for one of them.]

Source(s): Chief of Department - Jeanine Nicholson. On May 6, 2019, Chief Jeanine “Neen” Nicholson was sworn in as the 26th Fire Chief of San Francisco.May 6, 2019
    • Bill
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

So basically an area in the country that favors women put a woman in charge of men in a male dominated field. Shameful.

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

No!....if they want equality they should have equal qualification standards.

Why should a woman be accepted whaereas a weak man with the same strength as her would be rejected?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.