Where does the Bible say?
That Earth is flat?
That rape is OK?
That birds' blood cures leprosy?
That donkeys tallking, men surviving in fish or virgins concieving is possible without the power of God?
That Pi is equal to three, rather than listing rounded values to measurments.
Bonus question. What year did Carl Linnaeus classify bats as mammals?
- SeanLv 610 months agoFavourite answer
1. It doesn't say the earth is flat. The verse typically used when quoting this refers to the circuit of the earth. This can be seen as compass, sphere, path. This means it more refers to the path the earth travels around the sun, or the spin of the earth. It could potentially mean the shape of the earth, but in that case it would just mean it is round or spheroid, not flat.
2. The bible does not say that rape is okay. It speaks openly against sexual sin and the lusts of the flesh. Not understanding the context, it's easy to come to this assumption as God permitted the man who raped the woman to stay with her. This was done for a specific reason that we don't understand in today's society. In their society however, if a woman was bedded outside of marriage, she was defiled and could never marry. To never marry meant she could never have sons. To never have sons meant she could never be provided for. Therefore, though despicable, to force the young man to marry her, he was forced to provide her with heirs and preserve her life. This was common in society up until the late renaissance and rarely happens in some backward societies today where young men who are poor who will purposely steal into windows, rape a woman, and then force the parents to marry them. It doesn't mean that God supports this behavior. Despite the turnout of the events, God never said rape is okay, so don't put those words in his mouth.
3. God used many means in the bible to heal, and each time he did so, it was done a different way. In one instance, perhaps the blood of a bird could heal, but in another, it was the words of Jesus. The line connecting these two events was faith, and if we are to be healed, we should have faith that God can heal no matter the means or method. In one instance, it may be spittle, and the next mud. The power is not in the tool used, but by the power God uses.
4. I am confused as to what you mean by "without the power of God". It was the Angel of the Lord that empowered the donkey to talk. Donkeys do not speak by nature. The donkey did not talk of its own power. God, who created all things, should sufficiently be able to bring this effect to fruition, should he exist. Outside of that however, it should not be possible.
As for Jonah, stranger things have happened. I personally read a captain's report of a manta ray swallowing a man in the 1700s. Do I think a manta would swallow a man? No. But that is what it looked like to the crew. I think it was more likely swimming, and when the sailor fell into the water it hit him in the head and he sank and drowned. Their terror made them see it the way it was reported. The report however read that a manta ray of 18ft wingspan swallowed him whole and he was never seen again. Strange things can happen at sea is the point, and we know very little of our oceans and what is in them.
The bible says that it was God who prepared the fish for Jonah; the same God who prepared the donkey to speak to Balam. It was not outside the realm of possibility dependent on what that preparation was. It does not say. While donkeys we know do not talk, we don't know if an animal of some sort could have potentially done this to a man. What we do know is that it had seaweed in its mouth, it was made sick by Jonah not digesting, and followed the ship so as to swallow Jonah the minute he hit the water. I do know that Goliath Groupers all have the tendencies mentioned when they are massively large and they too live in the Mediterranean. Who knows what it was? Perhaps it had some deformity? Perhaps it is something that went extinct? To assume it didn't happen and the report false based on the abnormality of the situation doesn't mean it didn't happen. After all, it is not likely a man should fall into the water and a manta ray kill him, but that is what happened in some shape or form in the 1700s.
Again, outside of the power of God, it was not possible for a virgin to conceive a child. It was Mary who was imbued with the power of the Holy Spirit to conceive Jesus.
5. The subject of the Pi= three is too vast a subject to tackle here. There are some sites that deal with this. Pick yours, but I would suggest they not be those that attack the situation and instead deal with it mathematically. You can check out the website at the bottom here for one that goes in depth on the subject.
Classifications of genus and species are tools of science and man. Within most all of our classifications, there are animals that defy that classification. Just because the bible may consider the bat a bird, doesn't mean that the bible is scientifically calling it what we scientifically would call a bird. Don't confuse the two. Man may be called a hominid or a type of evolved animal, but that is not what we are according to God. That is a definition we gave ourselves based on the similarity to those animals. We then classified ourselves into that group to better distinguish ourselves as part of this world through evolutionary means, however that was not our origin. The bat is an evolved species after a kind of animal that has long since passed. What we see is the process of years and years of breeding. Perhaps the bat the bible is speaking about could have at one point in time resembled birds of today? We have no idea.
- JeremyLv 610 months ago
Revelation 7:1 After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree.
A globe doesn't have corners.We also have the temptation in Matthew 4, where the devil takes Jesus to a high mountain where they see all of the world, which isn't something that works with a globe.
8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor.
It doesn't directly make the case rape is okay, but, it isn't cast as an offence to the woman. It is treated a monetary offence to the father.
Deuteronomy 22:28 If a man encounters a virgin who is not pledged in marriage, and he overpowers her and rapes her, and they are discovered, 29 the man who raped her must pay the young woman's father fifty shekels of silver, and she must become his wife because he has violated her. He must not divorce her as long as he lives.
The idea that there is no regard to the woman's wishes in this matter is just indicative of the misogynistic treatment of women as property. There's the problematic item of taking virgins as spoils of war when the boys were to be killed.
Numbers 31:15 “Have you allowed all the women to live?” he asked them. 16 “They were the ones who followed Balaam’s advice and enticed the Israelites to be unfaithful to the Lord in the Peor incident, so that a plague struck the Lord’s people. 17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.
There's a deep vein of very troubling treatment of women throughout the bible, both old and new testament. While I think you can make the case that it isn't directly supportive or rape (which is arguable given virgins as the spoils of war), it is extremely far from anything I'd consider divine or moral treatment.
Leviticus 14:3 And the priest shall go forth out of the camp; and the priest shall look, and, behold, if the plague of leprosy be healed in the leper; 4 Then shall the priest command to take for him that is to be cleansed two birds alive and clean, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop: 5 And the priest shall command that one of the birds be killed in an earthen vessel over running water: 6 As for the living bird, he shall take it, and the cedar wood, and the scarlet, and the hyssop, and shall dip them and the living bird in the blood of the bird that was killed over the running water: 7 And he shall sprinkle upon him that is to be cleansed from the leprosy seven times, and shall pronounce him clean, and shall let the living bird loose into the open field.There's more to the ritual, but it revolves around the blood magic sprinkling the ill with the carcass of a murdered bird.
Now, I've heard this argued not as the cure by blood, but as some post-illness supernatural cleansing by blood. Okay. Is that supposed to make the requirement of some weird blood ritual better? I don't think so.
[That donkeys tallking, men surviving in fish or virgins concieving is possible without the power of God?]
Burden of proof ring any bells? It isn't incumbent upon us to say a donkey cannot talk, it is incumbent upon you to demonstrate they can. Me being unconvinced that Balaam and his Eeyore forerunner is a true story doesn't mean it is therefore my burden to show you every donkey on the planet doesn't talk.
The verse is 1 Kings 7:23 He made the Sea of cast metal, circular in shape, measuring ten cubits from rim to rim and five cubits high. It took a line of thirty cubits to measure around it.
So, reading literally, it says they made a big round bowl with a diameter of 10 cubits and a circumference of 30 cubits. But, I agree this is a fairly weak complaint to the bible.
- violaLv 410 months ago
It doesn’t, the Bible does not support the idea of a flat earth, please read Isaiah 40:22 it says He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, Isaiah was no scientist. How did he know that the earth was round? It was divine inspiration that revealed this truth.
- Annsan_In_HimLv 710 months ago
The answer to your first Q is, "Nowhere".
The answer to your second Q is "Somewhere between 1722 and 1778". And, no, I didn't get that somewhere in the Bible either!
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- sarahLv 710 months ago
*** Bible Citations ***
(Isaiah 40:22) There is One who dwells above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers. He is stretching out the heavens like a fine gauze, And he spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.
(Job 26:7) He stretches out the northern sky over empty space, Suspending the earth upon nothing;
- Anonymous10 months ago
"That Earth is flat?"
"That rape is OK?"
"That birds' blood cures leprosy?"
"That donkeys tallking, men surviving in fish or virgins concieving is possible without the power of God? "
God is supernatural and Balaam donkey was a one time, supernatural event. Jonah was also a one time supernatural event. Mary was also a one time supernatural event.
"That Pi is equal to three, rather than listing rounded values to measurments"
Since you already appear to know the precision issue with that claim, this is a non-sequitur.
"What year did Carl Linnaeus classify bats as mammals?"
Don't know and not all that relevant.
- WOOWHOLv 710 months ago
WHERE does the BIBLE say ? odd expression the Bible is NOT a ENTITY a BEING
.. the BIBLE is a collection of books 66 by 40 PEOPLE termed Authors
..... the issue is WHY a person would use such a collection of stories
as a SOURCE of information
such PEOPLES ability in ancient times
to have ACCURATE information was limited
additionally their PROPENSITY for imagination
exaggeration purposeful hype and story telling is obvious
- Anonymous10 months ago
The bible says the earth is flat in over 70 verses.
When you read it that this is God's word, you don't put a spin on it.
You don't say it's metaphor, for example. It's God's Word.
One example, the FOUR CORNERS of the earth. That's flat.
Before I continue, WHO taught us we live on a fast spinning globe?
Wasn't it the world?
What PROOF did they offer? None. Wasn't it FACT?
Children BELIEVE their nice teachers, don't they?
Imagine if they didn't! Go sit in the hall!
The bible says earth is stationary (shall not e moved).
3 scientists proved earth was stationary. PROVED!
They intended to prove it was moving!
Their work was locked away!
That should have been the end of things.
The NT says the return of the Son of Man will be like the lightening
shining from the East to the west.
Earth must be flat for that.
There's a DOME over earth protecting us.
If you want to know, and I think you do, look up
Donny of Daytona (DOD) who's gifted in his work.
I have many wonderful people to thank for teaching me truth.
I suppose there was absolutely no other way to reach the man to get his attention.
I'd suggest the Holy Spirit spoke and had the donkey move its mouth.
My background, not Christian, involved researching unusual events.
I certainly found truth stranger than fiction.
Truth is important for us.
I've been blessed, and want to pass this on.
However you perceive this.
- Anonymous10 months ago
I have no intention of looking all of those verses up, particularly for you.