Do white people fear the police or have negative perception of the police? If so, why? If no, why? ?

I’m a researcher! Serious responses appreciated! Thanks in advance 

Some 73% of the US population is white and within any group that large you're going to find variation of opinion.

I'm white; I spent 10 years in active law enforcement; I don't fear the Police. Why don't I fear the Police? Because I was an Officer. Second reason? If the Police stop me, I follow their directions.

I drive a high end sports car. I was pulled over once a week for 3 weeks because the car was not familiar to the Officers in my community. Was I afraid? No. I wasn't even annoyed. I KNOW that they have their eyes open.

My father was killed by a drunk driver who had been arrested, tried, give probation and set loose once prior to killing my Dad. I have some real concerns about Judges.

Yes, I have an immensely negative view of police.

Why? Because nearly every single interaction I have ever had with a police officer has been overwhelmingly negative, and it's not like I'm some hooligan or anything. I work for the federal government, hold a top secret security clearance, and have a squeaky clean record. Still, in my experience, police officers generally are armed morons who abuse their power at every opportunity.

Want specifics as to why I view cops with such disdain?

A lot of my views on police officers were formed back in high school when I worked 3rd shift at a gas station to help my family make ends meet. I inevitably became intimately acquainted with all of the 3rd shift police officers, as it was a small town and that was the only place open 24/7. There were three of them. One was a decent guy that honestly just wanted to make the world a safer place. He was what I would expect a cop to be, and he makes me realize that not all cops are complete dirt bags. Still, the unfortunate fact was that he was in the minority. One of the others was a pedophile that incessantly used his position to proposition my underage classmates. The third was eventually arrested and fired for stealing from the establishments he was supposed to protect. So yeah, 2 out of 3 being utterly despicable human beings did not exactly paint a great initial picture for the boys in blue.

In my mid 20's, I was pulled over because my plates were about to expire. Not that they were actually expired, but that they were about to. My girlfriend's dog was in the car and started barking at the officer through an open window. The cop got scared and went for his gun. I calmly told him that he wasn't in any danger while I reeled up the window by the dog. The entire time he had this look in his eyes like he was ready to shoot the dog and/or me. I talked him down and it eventually dawned on him that he was grossly over-reacting.

Another of my encounters with the police was when my friend attempted suicide by slitting her wrists. I called 911, and a police came to take her to the hospital. However, that was only after making sure they wrenched down the cuffs on her open wounds. That was SO f*cked up.

There are several other severely negative police encounters I have had, but I hope I have made it clear why I do not respect police officers in general. I have had a few positive/reasonable encounters with police, but the bad they bring far outweighs the good in my personal experience.

So yeah, I have an immensely negative view of police officers in general.

A society needs laws and we need people to uphold them, but I'm not sure we should set the bar SO F-ING LOW when it comes to recruiting people that are supposed to uphold our basic liberties.

As far as I can tell, cops (in general) are @ssholes that want to play by different rules from everyone else, but don't have the balls to be outright criminals.

I wish things were different. We deserve better.

USUALLY NO

I’m White and generally I don’t fear the police.

I conduct myself properly and I don’t associate with

troublesome people who are likely to draw the

attention of the police and so I generally feel that

I have nothing to worry about.

But if a bad cop is dying to harass or arrest some-

body, anybody can become prey to his misconduct

so you need to beware:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBMfzs9Nf7s

Youtube thumbnail

Not fear, but I'm fully aware that police abuse happens and have seen it myself.

Yeah, I do. Silly little recruit cop locked on me in my teens and followed me around for three years.

Mostly, no, but it's a mistake to lump "white people" and "black people" together. If you watch Live PD, you will see just as many white people caught by the police with drugs in the car, or on the end of domestic complaints where they then try to flee or fight the police. The issue is more socio- economic that most people realize. Many poor white and black people are into drugs, or alcohol, and end up in bad situations constantly, so they have a lot of contact with the police. Middle class whites and blacks usually have very little contact with the police.If you have a valid driver's license, insurance, and the tag on your car belongs to that car, and your car isn't full of drugs, you have little to fear from the police.

As a young white person I can personally say that I do not fear the police. I do not fear them because they have not wronged me or done anything to make me fear them. They simply do their jobs and try to keep our cities “clean” or “in order”.