what is this strange outlet in my bedroom?

It also had a weird fuse inside of it.

Attachment image

3 Answers

  • 3 weeks ago

    What they call a twinax connector for like FM radio or old style TV antenna.

    Mate connector usually has a flat 'ribbon' wire.

    The fuse is for lightning protection.

  • 3 weeks ago

    For safety reasons outlets are female fittings not male ones. The one in the photograph is a male ; if it was an electrical output you could potentially electrocute yourself every time you touched those pins. This must be an input of some kind. It may have been used to route the speaker output from a radio to another room location.

  • 3 weeks ago

    lmao, you're making me feel really damn old right now.

    That's a 300 ohm antenna outlet. Basically, at some point someone had one hell of a TV or radio antenna up on the roof, and it's signal would run to that outlet. From there you'd be able to pick up broadcast stations. If I had to hazard a guess, someone probably installed that during the 80's.

    • Mark
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

      We had one of these in our "rec room".

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.