Anti-Virus Needed?

Today I discovered my PC has viruses (no clue where they came from) I have tried various anti-virus programs such as Malwarebytes, Kaspersky, Spyhunter and all claimed to have found PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) however my issue is I still constantly have ads popping up everywhere so it seems the man threat is not taken care of yet I even tried cleaning all my internet history including cookies still no luck. My friend suggests doing a fresh install of windows but I have so much to lose if I were to go that route.

• AAAJ
    4 days ago

I am afraid you might need to reinstall your Operating System 

try malwarebytes or AdwCleaner

Backup your data, then blow away the OS and reinstall. Do a long format of the HD. This WILL eliminate the viruses.

The most likely reason for that is "toolbars" or similar add-ins in your internet browser.

Go to the settings in whichever browser you are using and remove _all_ add-ons/plugins etc.

Then add just "Adguard" adblocker.

Another possibility is a changed or hijacked DNS, the system that looks up web page addresses from the visible names. A malicious DNS can divert things to a site that injects ads in to pages.

See the instructions here to check the settings and change to Google's public DNS, which is safe:

https://www.howtogeek.com/167533/the-ultimate-guid...

• Tommy

There are a couple more things you can try before wiping everything. Malwarebytes has a couple of tools that may help. First is Malwarebytes Chameleon. It can be installed even if malware is blocking AV installs. AdwCleaner is another good one to clean up the unwanted ads.

• Fred

I haven't had popups in years. Popup prevention is part of your browser. You'll have to Google how to stop popups with your browser.

sounds like you have a root kit virus , no regular anti virus will deal with it , try avira rootkit killer or tdss both are free there is no need to pay for good antivirus protection, most malware companies have an anti rootkit program , to use malwarebytes you need to follow the special instructions for rootkits where you change the name of the mbam.exe file so a rootkit doesn't recognize and disable it

• night

Do you have OneDrive or some other way to back up your files before you reinstall windows? You could also move all of you files to a flash drive.