Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Am I wrong for not believing that my son has depression?

Depression is passed down by genetics. My son claimed to be very depressed lately but I am pretty sure he's attention seeking. Why? Neither my wife and I have depression and neither do their grandparents. Therefore, he does not have depression.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

you might be wrong, depression is not always hereditary, my brother once had us all on a research study thru john hopkins, about why my identical twin sister had schizophrenia all these yrs and i never got it, thats just one example of how something mental aint always genetic

• 2 months ago

You are so wrong that it is amazing!

Medical science knows that there are several types of depression and several reasons for depression.

The American Medical Association has declared that depression is a disease and like any other disease it responds well to medications and therapy and like any other disease it can be terminal if left untreated.

Make an appointment for him to see your family doctor or his pediatrician because only a licensed physician can diagnose and treat depression. What have you got to lose? Your son.

If he is attention seeking, then perhaps there is a reason or a more serious underlying emotional disorder.

Let the doctor decide.

• 2 months ago

You are wrong. There is a 60% chance that your son's depression is not genetic. And only 40% that it is. In other words there is a good chance that your son really has chronic depression. [See source.]

Source(s): Scientists believe that as many as 40 percent of those with depression can trace it to a genetic link. Environmental and other factors make up the other 60 percent. Research has also shown that people with parents or siblings who have depression are up to three times more likely to have the condition.Oct 10, 2016
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

This is a repeat troll

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • LAN
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No. You are wrong by being an idiot asking here rather than take him for evaluation.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.