Coolant level warning light is on, what's wrong?

1990 Jaguar XJ6. Recently bought it.

Checked the coolant, it's filled, but the coolent level warning light is on and hasn't gone off semse I got it.

Have driven it around for a bit, about six miles, and no indication it's over heating. The engine temp gauge does not indicate it is over heating either.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Best answer

Might be the water pump. That was the problem with my old Toyota. Cost me $500 to fix. But it could be something else like a worn hose that needs replacing or it could be a leaking radiator. You can take it to a mechanic or radiator place and they will tell you for free what the problem is and you can then get a quote for repairs. If It's a costly job, ring around and get 2 or 3 quotes.

• FOXY Di
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

It's a faulty sensor so God knows how you got the BA.

• 1 month ago

• zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Your low on coolant, check it with the engine cold; that is what is wrong. You need to check that about once a month!

• 1 month ago

The sensor is bad most likely.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Everyone told you that the 1990 Jaguar XJ6 was a nickle and dime POS, and you still bought it ROTFL.

• 1 month ago

Did you take the radiator cap off to check the coolant level or just look at the reservoir tank?

A bad radiator cap won't let he reservoir coolant get sucked into the radiator and low coolant in the radiator will cause the temperature gauge not to read accurately and you can over heat the motor without knowing t.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Your water pump, a clogged heater core, clogged radiator

• 1 month ago

On the bottom of the overflow tank or somewhere on the cooling system is a sensor the wire has either fallen off or the sensor is bad

• 1 month ago

Need new sensor

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

its broken get a new one

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.